Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-19-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Which 2 starting cards cost you the most $?

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm..., my VP$IP for QTo is <2%. I will attempt a steal from the Button or sb, and I'm not even sure that's good in a raked game. Maybe if the game's right I could call in LP under certain conditions...

I have been feeling like I'm playing a little too tight. VP$IP = 15.5%. I'm not sure exactly where I should loosen up though. Big cards in LP? Suited Connectors/pairs earlier in looser/passive games? Right now, I think I'll stay at 15.5% though until I work some other potential problems out.

[/ QUOTE ]

QTo is a limp in the CO or on the button for me, plus SB completion. For some reason that's translated to my high VPIP, but it's going down as the sample size grows.

15.5 isn't too bad -- it may be a teensy bit tight, but you could consider playing broadway cards in late position like KJo and ATo that you might be mucking. JTs and QJs are EP limps in a loose-passive game, etc.

And Mr. Pug says:

[ QUOTE ]
I'll tell you what. When I started off, I was playing suited connectors way too much and my 3 most losing hands were T9s, 98s, and 87s. That caused me to change my play of hands like that significantly (like not playing them in EP or MP so much). That was after about 10k hands. I'm glad I didn't wait until I had a few hundred thousand hands to use that information to improve my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was the exact same way because I was coming from the live games at Commerce, The Bike, and Hustler, where every pot was unraised and 7-8 players. The relative TAGginess of Party tables (heh) caused me to eventually make the adjustment and only play suited connectors on loose passive multiway tables and in late position after several limpers.

I looked at each instance of getting suited connectors and found most of my winning hands were coming from pairing up, not making straights/flushes. And that went for hands like Axs and JTs and QJs too. Those all won hands for their high card strength, not their suitedness. In my first 10k hands, actually, of all the times I won with A6s-A2s, only one of them was because I made a flush.