Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: At which site are your results the least favorable
Party Poker or skin thereof 28 16.67%
PokerStars 46 27.38%
Ultimate Bet 36 21.43%
Paradise Poker 23 13.69%
Other 35 20.83%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2005, 06:17 PM

Default If your VIP is X, what is the perfect PFR%?

Assume Party Poker 3/6 6 max
Old 09-15-2005, 06:26 PM

Default Re: If your VIP is X, what is the perfect PFR%?

This is somewhat of a style question but I think that if your PFR is a lot higher or lower than than 2/3 of your VPIP then you may have a problem. I see plenty of 25/22 types and I don't believe that is optimal.

Lost Wages
Old 09-15-2005, 10:10 PM

That seems like a good approximation.
66% of 22 is about 14.5. I think it's really easy to get into some ugly situations by raising much more than that.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is somewhat of a style question but I think that if your PFR is a lot higher or lower than than 2/3 of your VPIP then you may have a problem. I see plenty of 25/22 types and I don't believe that is optimal.

Lost Wages

[/ QUOTE ]

BUT OMG EVRY SITUATION IS RAISE OR FOLD AND IF ITS WORTH ONE BET I SHOULD RAISE AND FID OUT WHERRE IM AT AND ADD TO MY FOLD EQUITY AND CLEAN UP OUTS OMG WHY CANT I WIN MORE THAN 1 BB/100 AM I STEALING TOO MUCH??????
Old 09-16-2005, 05:19 AM

Don't make fun of me plis
Old 09-16-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Lost Wages

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont agrea with this. if 30/22 is optimal for some then 25/22 does not seem too far off.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Lost Wages

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
That seems like a good approximation.
66% of 22 is about 14.5. I think it's really easy to get into some ugly situations by raising much more than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any math behind this? I'm not sure that the ratio is relevant. If you always raise and never call preflop, you are exhibiting a leak that your opponents will exploit. If you never raise and always call, you are giving away too much equity. I am guessing that the optimum raise/call ratio is very game-specific.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any math behind this?

[/ QUOTE ]

None, just empirical data.

[ QUOTE ]
I am guessing that the optimum raise/call ratio is very game-specific.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is true that game conditions may affect your numbers for that particular game but I am talking about a long term average here. My specific experience covers the 5/10 and 10/20 Party. The OP was enquiring about the 3/6 at which I have no experience. My guess is that you would find more opportunities to limp with marginal hands against poor players so your ratio would be a tad lower than in more aggressive games.

Lost Wages
Old 09-16-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is true that game conditions may affect your numbers for that particular game but I am talking about a long term average here. My specific experience covers the 5/10 and 10/20 Party. The OP was enquiring about the 3/6 at which I have no experience. My guess is that you would find more opportunities to limp with marginal hands against poor players so your ratio would be a tad lower than in more aggressive games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although, I believe the blind structure has a significant effect on this ratio. In 3/6 with a 1:3 sb/bb ratio, you'll be doing far less completing than a 15/30 with a 2:3 sb/bb ratio. Therefore, I'd expect the 15 game to have a lower pfr/vpip. I'm not sure how much the blind structure vs. more aggressive nature of the game would contribute to a lower or higher ratio.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:21 PM

I am new here, and I am awful at poker, so please disregard this if you want....

I think that there is one key comment that was made, and its realted concept, which resonates with me....

"If I raise preflop, I generally continue with a bet on the flop"

I do this too much and I think that it is a leak. However, the concensus seems to be that most of the time this is the correct play.

Lets put it into a scenario....

You have Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
This is clearly a raising hand from any position (provided you are opening, and even sometimes if you are second in and there is no raise in front).

Lets say you raise this, and the BB calls...

Flop is

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

The BB checks....

What should you do? You have very little, the BB could be checking with a KX thinking that he is out kicked, or any number of hands that have you beat or close to it. It gets tricky.

Now if you had just checked this, chances are much greater you would be against more than just the BB, and also more likely behind something.

------------------

I am not saying that checking would have been correct, but I am saying that when you raise it can in someways force your hand a little (or at least it does with me), and may lead to non-optimal post flop decisions. Overall, I think that I am a bit over-zelous in my preflop raising as I will often be 24/19, and have a bad session.

Margon <--- only plays 0.50/1.00 and finding many leaks that need to be filled.