Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 10:48 PM

Default AA small blind

Last hand, table loose as a goose. i had AA in small blind against 6 limpers and BB. I wasn't sure what to do. Here is what i considered:

-limping and c/r any flop
-raising and betting flop
-raising and c/r flop, since with 6 limpers surely someone will bet

i raised and bet the flop. i think it was stupid, since the pot was large enough that anyone with any sort of anything could justify calling the one small bet. no one raised PF and i didnt really expect anyone to raise my bet (although i hoped they would). Obviously i lost to runner-runner 2 pair because the pot was huge and no one was going anywhere.

so

what's a better way to play something like this to protect my good starting but unlikely to improve hand?
Old 06-06-2005, 10:51 PM

Default Re: AA small blind

Nothing you can really do about that...it happens sometimes, IIRC AA PF is only supposed to win around 25-30% of the time against that many people.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing you can really do about that...it happens sometimes, IIRC AA PF is only supposed to win around 25-30% of the time against that many people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, but im curious how others would play in that situation- what their PF and Flop lines are to protect and dominate.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:58 PM

bet and raise relentlessly both preflop and flop. slow down when it starts looking bad. fold sometimes.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bet and raise relentlessly both preflop and flop. slow down when it starts looking bad. fold sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? that seems stupid, doesnt it? from the SB?
Old 06-06-2005, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what, specifially, seems stupid.

your question was very general. I tried to give what I think is generally good advice with AA -- betting and raising when you generally have a huge equity edge.

Sorry if that seems stupid.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:06 PM

About the only frop I'd fold with AA is JT9, all hearts, and I have black aces. I bet the flop, and it's 3bets back to me. Then I might fold.

Raising preflop relentlessly is never a mistake from any position. Conditions have to be absolutely perfect if you're going to try for a LRR rather than raising straight up.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

think of it this way bro

no matter what there's not a lot you can do to "protect" your hand. It's pretty tough to pull off a check raise after raising preflop and having no idea where the bet is coming from. If the bet comes from your left all you can do now is build the pot. as someone else already pointed out you're not the favorite here -- at least you're not winning 50% of the time.

say you're only winning 30% of the time against 8 players (this will totally depend on the flop -- the nightmare JT9s that someone pointed out you're probably hella worse). In some respects it's the same position you're in with a nut flush draw on the flop - you're 2:1 to win the hand so against a bunch of players you want to ram and jam with this huge equity edge, so you bet out to get as much in the pot as possible. One signicant difference is with a nut flush draw you have high implied odds, which means you will be betting and raising liberally on the turn/river if you hit your draw and never paying off with a second best hand. your AA on the other hand has reverse implied odds; even when you have the best hand on the turn/river, you often cannot bet and raise for fear of being beat by straights, flushes, two pair, etc, and you will often make the second best hand. This is another big argument for betting and raising ASAP when you know you're best.

forget about protection. with the best dream c/r possible the button bets you raise and face the field with 19:2 which means the BB on your left can call for a gutshot! before you know it the tag in the CO is calling with ducks what are you protecting against????

bet and raise for value until it starts looking bad, it's maybe as stupid as it sounds

edit: yankees totally suck
Old 06-06-2005, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 folds.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero folds, CO calls.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 folds.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero folds, CO calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, no way in hell I fold there. 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] maybe