Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   AA small blind (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=267411)

irishpint 06-06-2005 10:48 PM

AA small blind

Last hand, table loose as a goose. i had AA in small blind against 6 limpers and BB. I wasn't sure what to do. Here is what i considered:

-limping and c/r any flop
-raising and betting flop
-raising and c/r flop, since with 6 limpers surely someone will bet

i raised and bet the flop. i think it was stupid, since the pot was large enough that anyone with any sort of anything could justify calling the one small bet. no one raised PF and i didnt really expect anyone to raise my bet (although i hoped they would). Obviously i lost to runner-runner 2 pair because the pot was huge and no one was going anywhere.

so

what's a better way to play something like this to protect my good starting but unlikely to improve hand?

Weatherhead03 06-06-2005 10:51 PM

Re: AA small blind

Nothing you can really do about that...it happens sometimes, IIRC AA PF is only supposed to win around 25-30% of the time against that many people.

irishpint 06-06-2005 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing you can really do about that...it happens sometimes, IIRC AA PF is only supposed to win around 25-30% of the time against that many people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, but im curious how others would play in that situation- what their PF and Flop lines are to protect and dominate.

jba 06-06-2005 10:58 PM

bet and raise relentlessly both preflop and flop. slow down when it starts looking bad. fold sometimes.

irishpint 06-06-2005 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bet and raise relentlessly both preflop and flop. slow down when it starts looking bad. fold sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? that seems stupid, doesnt it? from the SB?

MrWookie47 06-06-2005 10:59 PM

Raising and betting is the only option. Completing is giving up way, way, WAY too much value. You should be drooling about having 6 limpers, not sweating. Sometimes, you can't protect your hand. In those cases, bet for value.

I was playing some 1/2 over at Pacific a while ago. The players there are as bad as the software, maybe worse. I raised AA UTG and watched 6 people cold call. I just about creamed my pants. I lost the hand, but, man, do I ever have a stash of Sklansky bucks.

jba 06-06-2005 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

really? that seems stupid, doesnt it? from the SB?

[/ QUOTE ]

what, specifially, seems stupid.

your question was very general. I tried to give what I think is generally good advice with AA -- betting and raising when you generally have a huge equity edge.

Sorry if that seems stupid.

MrWookie47 06-06-2005 11:06 PM

About the only frop I'd fold with AA is JT9, all hearts, and I have black aces. I bet the flop, and it's 3bets back to me. Then I might fold.

Raising preflop relentlessly is never a mistake from any position. Conditions have to be absolutely perfect if you're going to try for a LRR rather than raising straight up.

irishpint 06-06-2005 11:09 PM

ya, you're right it's being results oriented and all. but betting doesn't protect my hand at all- i need to go for a c/r. if i raise pf i dunno if anyone will bet- although if i check i bet they will. so maybe a raise pf and a c/r flop is betting than just betting out the flop.

irishpint 06-06-2005 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
About the only frop I'd fold with AA is JT9, all hearts, and I have black aces. I bet the flop, and it's 3bets back to me. Then I might fold.

Raising preflop relentlessly is never a mistake from any position. Conditions have to be absolutely perfect if you're going to try for a LRR rather than raising straight up.

[/ QUOTE ]

what about the flop play though, that is the biggest concern for me. if i just bet into 6 people with a large pot all backdoors, bottom pair, etc is going to call. if i try to check/raise a late position bettor that's my only chance to protect my unimprovable hand in a large field with a larger pot. thats what im getting at.