Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-20-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re-raise with 32o?

This is from the second level of a 5+1 Shootout. As a big chipleader on the bubble, I've been stealing left and right, and I don't want the bubble to end. Here's what I know about each opponent:

mmillerce- Too tight on his short stack.

lvangel- The worst player here. Very weak tight. Has repeatedly called my raises for 1/3-1/2 of his stack and check-folded the flop.

Luckylucluc- Seems like a reasonable player (he claims later he's on the tourney leader board, but I didn't check). He's rightly playing quite tight in this situation, and though he complains that I am not letting him play any hands, he is allowing me to get away with it.

NL Texas Hold'em Trny:15003347 Level:11 Blinds (400/800) - Saturday, August 20, 13:44:07 EDT 2005
Table SHOOTOUT(431794) Round(2) Table #16 (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 1: mmillerce ( $1640 )
Seat 2: lvangel24 ( $1245 )
Seat 8: axnjxn111 ( $32352 )
Seat 9: LuckyLucLuc ( $5830 )
Trny:15003347 Level:11
Blinds (400/800)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to axnjxn111 [ 3h 2s ]
mmillerce is all-In [1640]
lvangel24 folds.
axnjxn111 raises [8800].
LuckyLucLuc: c'mom
LuckyLucLuc folds.
** Dealing Flop ** [ Kc, 7c, 9d ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ Jh ]
** Dealing River ** [ 8h ]
axnjxn111 shows [ 3h, 2s ] high card king.
mmillerce shows [ Jc, Ac ] a pair of jacks.
axnjxn111 wins 7560 chips from side pot #1 with high card king.
mmillerce wins 4080 chips from the main pot with a pair of jacks.

My thinking is that the pusher's range here is pretty wide, and so my odds against him may not be atrocious (if he holds only overcards and not an overpair), but mostly that I would rather he not get busted so that the bubble can continue. I expect Lucky will call with a lot of hands and win a decent amount of the time if I don't re-raise, but he'll fold almost anything if I do re-raise, since he'll expect me to bust miller. Assuming I do lose the hand, I can make up almost all the chips that I lose with a single steal.

As you can imagine, the others at my table thought I was a complete idiot and lvangel was especially angry given that he ended up being the one to bust out, when the small blind forced him all in and I was unable to fold my big blind.

What do you think of this play?