Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   I'm A Poker Expert! (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=139315)

bernie 10-23-2004 10:58 PM

Re: I\'m A Poker Expert!

[ QUOTE ]
You check the hand history (a luxury of online play)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think everyone on here who hates the IWTSTH rule will love this line. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

i love this column Ed does. It's about the most thorough exercises out there. He also explains the moves fantastically.

It's also a good tool to use when you're on a bad run and getting the hell kicked out of you. It can help keep your thinking on track when you may be doubting yourself.

b

Punker 10-24-2004 12:35 AM

"Raising has some merits, but for it to work in your favor, your opponent has to have a better hand than yours, and he must fold it."

What if he will call with a worse hand? Does raising then have no merit? My read on this imaginary player was AQ on the turn.

Masquerade 10-24-2004 01:08 AM

I'm with Mikey on this one. No-one comes out early betting a raised multi-way flop before the raiser with Ace high or a small pair and then calls a raise! If he was on some sort of draw or small pair he'd let the raiser bet it and call if it wasnt raised.

You have to put him on top pair, or maybe two pair at this point. Even if he does just have Ace high or a small pair he's still ahead of you and will win 75% of the time. The pot by now has got large, and its heads up. Its extremely unlikely that he's going to fold on the turn given his earlier play.

B Dids 10-24-2004 01:37 AM

He will. He does. I've folded him before. I think most of us who have a meaningful number of hands played online have made this player fold in this type of situation.

Mikey 10-24-2004 02:12 AM

Responses like this need to be addressed so that people aren't taking your response as a likely option.

Most players won't limp with AQo, so therefore you can eliminate this hand.

Punker 10-24-2004 02:23 AM

The player in question raised preflop.

Mikey 10-24-2004 02:36 AM

for the first hand yes.... I thought you meant the hand where we were having the discussion on.

Masquerade 10-24-2004 02:45 AM

Ive done a quick 'back of the envelope' calculation and found that for this case you need them to fold with the better hand [and they wont often have a worse hand] about one time in twelve.

That isnt that frequently - and I suppose someone with Ax suited where the x paired the board might bet the flop, call the raise, and then fold on the turn when an A or x didnt come.

Gigabet 10-24-2004 06:13 AM

i must play too tight, i have never played Qs8s outside the blinds.

Ed Miller 10-24-2004 07:41 AM

i must play too tight, i have never played Qs8s outside the blinds.

You're in a blind this hand.