Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   My life in shambles (not poker related) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=159574)

Niwa 12-17-2004 04:15 PM

Re: Thank you all

You're a good writer. Interesting post, this happened to me aswell. It worked out for me by getting my lazy *ss doing something.

ewile 12-17-2004 11:08 PM

I must say, great, thoughtful responses in this thread.
Best of luck to the origional poster. You'll pull through this!

wacki 12-18-2004 07:43 AM

Re: My life in shambles (not poker related)

[ QUOTE ]
Lack of motivation is a classic sign of depression (not saying you're depressed, don't have enough info obviously) so talking to a professional (or at least a grad student 8) might help. Hang in there and make sure that you lean on the people you're close to for support.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. I'm not saying you are depressed either, but I will say I once was. I went through a series of very rough situations that were anything but easy to get through. I made it, but I guess when you go for a period of time without feeling any joy you can suffer from something called serotonin syndrome.

The basic analogy is a Ferrari with an empty battery. The Ferrari is a top notch car, and there is nothing wrong with it. But the battery is dead so it needs a quick boost. My boost was a drug called Wellbutrin. I took it for a year and then weaned off of it. It really turned my life around.

Al Schoonmaker 12-20-2004 07:01 PM

I'm going to reply before reading any of the other replies, and I will discuss only one issue: your belief that you will probably get more flames than anything else.

I think you don't understand us. This forum is used mostly to help each other, and lots of us -- including me -- have had rough periods and made stupid mistakes. We don't kick people when they are down. We try to help them to get back on their feet.

Usually we do it about narrowly defined poker issues, but the general atmosphere here is one of helping, not flaming.

Now I'll look at the other replies to see whether I've correctly assessed the other people here.

Regards,

Al

Al Schoonmaker 12-20-2004 07:49 PM

After reading more than 10 replies, I can echo your thanks. It makes me feel very good to know that the people here are as decent and helpful as I had expected.

You're a great bunch, and I'm glad to be associated with you.

Regards,

Al

jtr 12-21-2004 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PS. Don't say "I'm incredibly intelligent." People who truly are don't say that kind of stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice. But it's worse: he said "I'm an incredibly, intelligent person." The comma placement makes it an even more self-defeating statement.

It's strange, I had some sympathy with the original poster until I reached the PS.

Hack 12-21-2004 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, but it sounds like you're lazy and need to get off your ass and do some work. I'm usually a pretty empathetic type, but your story just smacks of "college party boy feels sorry for self after pissing away semester". Get off your ass and fix your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, you really ARE a bitch, CinnamonWind!

The kid has problems and you jump on him like this.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

IF you don't have anything positive to contribute to this thread then keep your damned mouth shut you [censored] troll.

It's bad enough that you continue to make up new names, Lansing, but if you are going to troll in threads like this then people are going to hate you even more than they already do.

People on here do not like it when you come into the psychology forum into a troubled kid's thread and start ripping on him. Pretty tactless.

If you're empathetic then I am the pope. Nah, even better- I am Mother Teresa.

So, yeah, just shut up.

P.S. - here is some of CinnamonWind's past bilge for reference:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...v=#Post1376657

Hack 12-21-2004 01:32 PM

Hope you are doing okay kyro.

Thinking about you.

Warm regards,
Hack

Hack 12-21-2004 01:57 PM

Most of the posts on this thread save for CinnamonWind's have been very helpful and positive. I'm very glad to see it as I know you are.

Warm wishes,
Hack