Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2004, 07:31 PM

Default Please criticize these hands

All of these are 20+2 at pokerroom. Is there a handconverter that works for pokerroom? I did a find/replace for all the names which was a bit tedious.

Hand 1: QQ

Seat 1: hero [ QS,QD ] ($1,595 in chips)
Seat 4: MP1 ($1,265 in chips)
Seat 5: MP2 ($4,545 in chips)
Seat 6: CO ($2,565 in chips)
Seat 7: Button ($930 in chips)
Seat 8: SB ($1,060 in chips)
Seat 9: BB ($2,145 in chips)
Seat 10: UTG ($895 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
SB posts blind ($25), BB posts blind ($50).

PRE-FLOP
UTG calls $50, hero bets $200, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB bets $1,035 and is all-in, BB folds, UTG folds, hero calls $860.

FLOP [board cards 5H,2D,5S ]

TURN [board cards 5H,2D,5S,8D ]

RIVER [board cards 5H,2D,5S,8D,3S ]

SHOWDOWN
SB shows [ AC,10C ]
hero shows [ QS,QD ]
hero wins $2,220.

A part of me says that this early in the tourney QQ isn’t so great a hand. But given the chances that I had him badly beat and the fact that I would still have a reasonable number of chips if I lost, I figured I had to call. Is this an obvious call? If so, what circumstances would turn it into a fold?

Hand 2: KJo

Seat 1: hero [ KD,JC ] ($2,980 in chips)
Seat 5: button ($5,885 in chips)
Seat 6: SB ($2,715 in chips)
Seat 7: BB ($880 in chips)
Seat 9: UTG ($1,895 in chips)
Seat 10: UTG+1 ($645 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
SB posts blind ($25), BB posts blind ($50).

PRE-FLOP
UTG calls $50, UTG+1 folds, hero calls $50, button folds, SB calls $25, BB checks.

FLOP [board cards 2D,KH,QH ] ($200)
SB checks, BB bets $50, UTG folds, hero bets $250, SB folds, BB calls $200.

TURN [board cards 2D,KH,QH,10D ] ($700)
BB checks, hero bets $580, BB folds.

SHOWDOWN
hero wins $1,280

On the flop I figured my hand was probably good since there was no raise pre-flop.

Hand 3: 88

Seat 1: Hero [ 8H,8C ] ($2,305 in chips)
Seat 5: button ($8,465 in chips)
Seat 6: SB ($2,740 in chips)
Seat 9: BB ($900 in chips)
Seat 10: UTG ($590 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
SB posts blind ($75), BB posts blind ($150).

PRE-FLOP
UTG folds, Hero bets $450, button folds, SB folds, BB calls $300.

FLOP [board cards 4S,AD,6D ] ($975)
BB bets $450 and is all-in, Hero calls $450.

TURN [board cards 4S,AD,6D,JC ]

RIVER [board cards 4S,AD,6D,JC,4C ]

SHOWDOWN
BB shows [ 5S,AS ]
Hero shows [ 8H,8C ]
BB wins $1,875.

The pot was laying me just over 3 to 1, though it was getting close to the money. Having called my raise, I realized it was highly likely that he had an ace. I really just wanted to believe there was a decent chance he was betting diamonds or a couple face cards. Even then I wasn’t much of a favorite. Is this an easy fold?
Old 07-01-2004, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Please criticize these hands

Hand 1:

I think you played it perfectly. I rarely (basically never) lay down QQ to one all in bet due to the crazy nature of players going all in online.

Hand 2:

Looks pretty good, I didn't calculate pot sizes but it looks like you were making pot sized raises. I normally muck KJ to a ep caller full handed, but probably tough to let it go six handed with small blinds. I think you played it well on every street.

I very rarely flat call bets preflop with unsuited face cards but the blinds are so small I don't think it is a bad play at all. When the blinds get bigger the only thing I don't like is a call just opens you up to a steal from a lp player.

Hand 3:

I call here as well. I lead out betting short stacked if I am short stacked, I think it is hard to credit him with such a likelihood of an ace such that you are not getting correct pot odds to call. He could have a flush draw, straight draw, any pp etc. I think your raise commits you to the river against the two short stacks.

The only thing I don't entirely love is pre flop. These pairs are so hard to play that I can't say whether or not it is a good raise, but if I raise I would raise it up to 375 or so, I don't feel like you need to raise 3xbb five handed. I am not saying only with 88 but also with any other raising hand AQ etc.

Looks like you played them all very well imo.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:35 PM

I meant to say I lead out betting short stacked if I catch any part of the flop. Just a quick funny note from a limit tourney today, level 50-100 I held 9-4o, got a free play hu in the bb on a K-4-3 flop and I pushed all in and was called by 9-5o. It was pretty funny I thought.

I also wanted to explain that the reason I reraise or fold most of the time with unsuited big cards is two fold (i) they don't play that well multiway so if I like my hand I want it shorthanded and (ii) most of the time the flop won't help me but I like to lead out anyways, having raised helps you steal pots later.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:44 AM

Those unsuited big cards are tricky. Yes, I definitely want a small number of opponents. But raising with KJo is tough. If I get called or re-raised, can I have any confidence that my hand is good if I hit it? I guess if I get re-raised I can probably just lay it down.

My hope on this hand was that since there was only the button and the blinds after me, there was a decent chance I could get this 3 handed without a raise. 4 handed isn't too terrible either I don't think, which is what I got. So I had a small pot which was easy to protect with a pot-size bet. Also, stealers would have to tighten up after UTG and I limped, so I don't know how much I'd have to worry about that.

I agree that raising pre-flop and then betting a raggedy board is a good line as well. It is the higher variance move though, which makes me unsure whether it is the obvious choice. It's a tough hand to play I think.