Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2004, 07:34 PM

Default VERY INTERESTING HAND.... how would you play it???

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed)

MP2 (t2915)
CO (t930)
Button (t1775)
SB (t1340)
Hero (t1815)
UTG (t1820)
UTG+1 (t1685)
MP1 (t1220)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls t30, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t120) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero bets t60, UTG calls t60, Button calls t60, SB calls t60.

Turn: (t360) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG bets t90, Button calls t90, SB folds, Hero calls t90.

River: (t630) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG bets t90, Button folds, Hero raises to t250, UTG calls t160.

Final Pot: t1130

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 7d 7s (three of a kind, sevens).
UTG shows 9c 9d (one pair, nines).
Outcome: Hero wins t1130. </font>
Old 06-30-2004, 08:07 PM

Default Re: VERY INTERESTING HAND.... how would you play it???

I think you played it fairly well.

I wouldn't bet this flop into that many people simply because there are so many draws that will get them to call, and someone may already have you beat with a ten or two pair. I know that you want to make the draws pay, but someone with a ten might do that, and if you are up against a flush draw and an open ended straight draw, you easily could get drawn out. But you only bet 60. Not a disaster.

I like the call on the turn. You have a few outs, plus they may be semibluffing.

On the river, it's a tough one. If you are worried he's trying to pick up the pot, you just call and beat his missed draw. I think I like the bet because he could easily pay you off with two pair or a ten, but I'm not sure.

I guess he is unlikely to have bet the turn with a gut shot (89) and is unlikely to have called preflop with 42 or 82.

Yeah, on second thought, I am sure I like the bet. Well done.

What do you do if he raises?
Old 06-30-2004, 08:12 PM

I check/fold this on flop.

With a pocket pair and only a backdoor straight and flush you are highly unlikely to improve. With 3 opponents and an unraised pot its highly likely that some combination of flush or straight draw, two pair, trips, a T (or even JJ-88 as it turns out) is out there. So there’s a good chance you are beaten but a reasonable chance you have the best hand -- but a very good chance you’ll get called (esp. with a halfpot size bet). Best plan is probably check fold this early in tourney when you really need to bet ~150 or so to try to win the pot. But a reasonably alternative is overbetting the pot slightly and checkfold if called, or if you want to get very aggressive, checkraising the pot. That way you find out where you are vs. set or T and the draws should fold.

--Greg
Old 06-30-2004, 09:06 PM

I wouldn't bet the flop, but the biggest mistake is not folding on the turn. I'm definately check folding the turn. You were just lucky to hit your two outer.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:16 PM

Default Incorrect...

You said, "the biggest mistake is not folding on the turn. I'm definately check folding the turn. You were just lucky to hit your two outer." First off, I had 6 outs. Don't forget to look at the gutshot straight draw if I hit the 4 as well. So I basically close to the same odds as if I had an open-ended straight draw. Sure, the 90 bet was a decent size bet, but with 630 in the pot if I call 90, my odds are not bad at all, even without factoring in implied NL odds.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:34 PM

i don't think this hand is very interesting at all...
Old 06-30-2004, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Incorrect...

My fault. I read your post quickly and completely missed that. Even with the extra outs, the call on the turn is still close. You have 6 outs giving you 6.7:1 odds of hitting on the river, and the pot is giving you 7:1 odds. In addition, you could be drawing dead to your set if someone has a 4, or you could possibly split if someone has one of the other two sevens and a 4 hits.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:08 PM

Default Agreed...

Yes, it was a very close call. Odds were definitely close, without factoring in the NL implied odds I thought it would certainly be worth my while if I hit because the guys were betting each time without a problem and if I hit, I would raise and they would be too pot committed to fold, paying me off, which is what ended up happening. Again, like you said with the possibility someone had the 4, which is why it is kind of a complex hand because there's so much people could have and so many things could happen to change the outcome. If the bet on the turn was like 120 I would not have called.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Agreed...

nope, didnt do it for me, still a boring hand without much to it
Old 07-01-2004, 12:13 AM

not much to think about here... your bet on the flop isn't correct and neither was your call on the turn. Easy lay down to a flop or turn bet, you did get lucky; 4% chance to hit on the turn from that flop and 15% chance to hit on the river