Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2004, 10:47 AM

Default FUK PUKE SUCKING POLITICS-WE NEED A SPLIT

A second debate is ongoing in the PL/NL Forum about the need for a split. So I think it is about time one is started here.

We need a 'pure' politics forum and then the 'other topics' forum can be just that - cultural and social stuff, Beer, Boobs, Books, Fishing, Movies, All the sports, why the US should bomb France, etc and etc. Bleed over will obviously occur and is expected so don't use that as an excuse for a non-split.

Especially with the upcoming election and all the hoopla and bellyaching that will manifest itself, I think the 2+2 gang should institute some form of split. Let's give the 'I'm out to save the Fu*king world yahoos' their own forum. They deserve one.

Other reasons loom on the horizon but I'll let others ameliorate. That’s my Rant for today.

I’ll check in later in the day to add some more vituperation.

PEACE KILLS.

-Zeno
Old 06-30-2004, 10:58 AM

Default Re: FUK PUKE SUCKING POLITICS-WE NEED A SPLIT

This is a great idea. With a new Politics forum, some of the off topic stuff from NV&G will migrate to Other Topics as well, since people won't be scared away by some of the crazies posting here. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

We could have 3 well focused forums, instead of 2 mishmashes.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:02 AM

I agree
Old 06-30-2004, 12:02 PM

In my mind "other topics" is enough. Two + Two was been kind enough to offer a sounding board for non-poker content. Let's not be greedy and ask for more than one.

~elwood
probably considered an "out to save the world fu*king yahoo."
Old 06-30-2004, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my mind "other topics" is enough. Two + Two was been kind enough to offer a sounding board for non-poker content. Let's not be greedy and ask for more than one.

[/ QUOTE ]

(Other than initial set up) Does adding a forum add to the cost of running this place?
Old 06-30-2004, 12:12 PM

I'm usre it's a pain in teh ass to get going.

IMO if you;re going to make a separate politics forum you need to make a separate sports one too, simply because the other one would get totally dominated by sports and people not really interested in sports wouldn't check it.

That said I I think things are fine as they are and I don't really understand why people can't simply ignore posts they're not interested in, or why they'd be "scared" by the "crazies"; I mean, so far as I know there's been no violence as yet, and while many threads degenerate into something else us politicos aren't going to call you a facist for posting your favourite ice cream flavour.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:16 PM

With all the traffic on 2+2, they are making money on their banner ads. Improving the place will make it better.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:16 PM

Good question...I really don't know. I think there's also the affect of watering down the site from its core competency - Poker. They threw a bone out with the Other Topics, recognizing that without it other Forums would become a zoo (no pun intended).
Old 06-30-2004, 03:00 PM

Default Agreed

Six months or a year ago I wouldn't have agreed, but I do now.

It seems well over half of all the material on the OT Forum is politics. Politics truly dominates the discussion board, much more so than would Sports dominate a split OT forum, in my opinion.

Also, Politics is a highly argumentative topic and thus imparts a hard flavor to the board as a whole. A board which discusses things like Sports and Arts and Science News, etc. would be a very nice change from the acidic OT Forum.

As Zeno says, just because there will be some inevitable spillover is not a good enough reason not to split. The focus and flavor of political discussions are really quite different than the focus and flavor of discussions about things like Sports, Arts, Literature and Science News. Not to mention just pleasant bemused ramblings at unusual occurrences we may have witnessed, or stories about grandfathers, or whatever. All that really is a world apart from the acerbic political discussions that so dominate the OT board presently, and it would be nice to be able to have a forum to discuss such things, while leaving the arguments about Israelis/Palestinians, Leftism, Fascism, Iraq, Michael Moore, Neocons, etc. on their own board where they belong.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:06 PM

I am in favor of a split.