Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2004, 08:46 PM

Default QQ -- too passive after flop?

CO is new to the table, so no idea of his style of play.

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.05.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero raises, CO (poster) calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (15 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets, CO raises, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero 3-bets, CO caps, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

I believe the 3-bet was obvious here, since I have CO most likely on a pair of Jacks, but correct me if I'm wrong. When he caps, I up him to a possible two pair or a very aggressive nut flush draw.

Turn: (17.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks, CO bets, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

River: (22.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks, CO bets, UTG calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 26.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows Qs Js (one pair, jacks).
MP2 shows Kh 4s (one pair, fours).
Hero shows Qh Qc (one pair, queens).
CO shows Kd Jc (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins 26.50 BB. </font>

So tell me, is this a passive leak? Should I have bet out against an opp who capped on the flop in the face of a pre-flop raise and flop 3-bet?
Old 06-29-2004, 09:02 PM

Default Re: QQ -- too passive after flop?

Unless you know that the CO is very aggressive with top pair, I think check-calling is OK here, especially since he has position on you. He could have a J-10 two pair, and if he was aggressively betting a flush draw, he hit it on the turn.

I know that many will diasgree with me here, but my experience is that MOST players at these limits will not cap with top pair, and unless I am confident that this player is atypically aggressive, I will just call down, then make a note.

Additional note----once the flush card comes on the turn, if anyone OTHER than the CO starts raising, I will likely fold.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:55 PM

I likely play this the same way; with no other raises before the flop, you likely have the top pair. Given the flop cap, I'd start to wonder about JT or 66 and call down from there.

And don't forget to add MP2 to your buddy list. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2004, 11:09 PM

Hey prayformojo,
Yeah, he could be overplaying a flush or str8 draw, or he could just be pushing a pair of J's and putting you on overcards. I think you need to raise the turn. If he calls, lead the river. If he 3bets, then check call the river unless you improve.

-Jaran