Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2004, 08:26 PM

Default Real Food.

Chick-fila-[censored] is crap.

You want really food. Eat in the Southwest US. From Texas through New Mexico over to Arizona and parts of very southern Colorado. Hit and miss in Southern Cal. Or, zoom over the border and get at least 100 miles south of the geopolitical line and stop and eat.

Great hot food with red and green chili, and all the extra spices and fixing’s that make it worthwhile. No watered down bland please don't make my eyes water type of processed and engineered food for the drooling masses of want-to-be hip coolly doolly dudes wearing white striped shirts that cost $200 a pop shade wearing Francophiles with sickly idealism hanging about their too perfect hair and shinny pointing shoes like files around a shithouse.

How hot - just about right when sweat beads up under your eyes and near the bridge of your nose - Sinuses cleared of any debris is also a good sign. Nothing is too hot, although I do remember once having some soup in Mexico (near Colima) that was so hot it made my ears pop. Towards the bottom of the bowl it was even more concentrated. It helped that I had spooned in some extra powered chili I suppose. That was some powerful stuff. Also, if it doesn’t burn coming out of your ass the next day, no way was it hot enough.

Nuff said, methinks.

You can stuff your fast food in a sack buddy.

-Zeno
Old 06-29-2004, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Real Food.

Zeno is welcome to accompany El Diablo on his next voyage to India where we will be able to munch on sun-dried red chillies in anticipation of the excellent meal to follow. Powdered chili. Bah.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Zeno is welcome to accompany El Diablo on his next voyage to India where we will be able to munch on sun-dried red chillies in anticipation of the excellent meal to follow. Powdered chili. Bah.

[/ QUOTE ]
I love Indian. Can I come? When I go to an Indian restaurant, I always tell them "Indian hot, not American hot. Indian! Yes, I can take it. I promise! I need a whole pitcher of ice water, and if I'm not crying throughout the meal, you didn't make it hot enough."

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2004, 09:39 PM

Brewery Bar on south Kalamath in Denver. 3 rellenos, special, smothered green, flour tortilla on side, original crappy Miller on tap. You need to build immunity, but a few doses innoculate you. I about killed my father in law with his first lunch there. But he couldn't deny it was good going down. Too much whining the day after tho. Have eaten there with people who antacid load before going. They pop antacids while they wait. I think it is a placebo. Those things can't work and you do need your stomach acid to fight off the food. Eating the green straight out of the bowl is nice too. Not as much fat and grease to cut the heat, so you will sweat more and have your nose run. One guy ate 13 or 14 bowls, which is the record. They have a picture. He is still alive I think.

New Mexico is alright, although I've been disappointed there. SoCal I have not found the best stuff. So far, the only realy good stuff I have had there is from the taco trucks. Nice mystery meat soft tacos, but they aren't hot enough. Have had some good stuff there and Az tho. More experience in Co and NM. NM and so Colo. have some good stuff if you avoid too much blue corn and goat and stuff. Stick w/ green chile, etc.... Love those strings of peppers in the fall in NM. NM still presents too much risk of yuppified or about to be discovered by yuppie food. No ancho paste on medallions of goat on a bed of blue corn tortillas and black beans or whatever. Ick. Mystery meat somothered green for me thanks.

P.S. I need to schedule a jaunt to El Paso or Austin to drink beer, eat texmex, and be more of a wastrel than I am already so that I can comment on more places.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:44 PM

Nothing is too hot

Well, sure, if you're talking Mexican. They have no clue how to make food really hot. For that, you have to go Indian.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:25 PM

You folks in the Western US don't know chit about real food. Real food is fried pork tenderloin, homemade bisquits and sawmill gravy. Add eggs and fried corn, and now you have a real meal!
Old 06-29-2004, 10:29 PM

"How hot - just about right when sweat beads up under your eyes and near the bridge of your nose"

First time we were in Santa Fe, the third day my wife starts to cry as we're going to lunch. She said she couldn't take any more achiote, poblano, etc. So we drove to Albuquerque for our flight home and stopped at the local Radisson so she could get a tuna salad.

This was about ten years ago. Twenty visits later, she loves it.

Speaking of great food, just watched Big Night. Great movie. See it if you haven't. Wonderful performances, especially by Tony Shalhoub and Ian Holm.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:53 PM

"New Mexico is alright"

Rancho de Chimayo in Chimayo, about a 45 minute drive from Santa Fe. Beautiful country, wondrous food, killer margaritas, though a bit touristy in setting.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:19 PM

Well, sure, if you're talking Mexican. They have no clue how to make food really hot. For that, you have to go Indian.

Heh. You can get mexican food as hot as you want. I've learned never to say I want hot food in a Mexican restaurant. I say, "I'd like it a little on the spicy side." That way they don't try to kill me.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:23 PM

Sounds like I need to make a trip. Some Chinese and Thai food is also high on the hot meter and also rates big on the delicious side too.

-Zeno