Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2004, 12:01 PM

Default Is this normal for Party?

This is my first hand I'm posting. First some background: I stopped playing a PartyPoker eight weeks ago. A few days ago, they deposited $15 into my account. I figure it's their money. I'll just play and see what happens, half-expecting just to lose it quickly.

After just a few hours of play, i was up to $80 and the bonus cleared after 90 raked hands. After what happened to me the first time I played at Party, I knew I should just take the money and run. But no, like last time, I played until I went broke. And it's hands like this that make me wonder about PartyPoker. The wild swings are just insane. You either win a fortune or lose a fortune.

So I think I played this okay. If not, please let me know where I went wrong. But what I really want to know is if it's just me or is this typical at Party. I probably won't play at Party any more (or at least until they give me more money). But I will continue to play at Royal Vegas where I generally do well and at least made back all the money I lost at Party.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: (4 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, BB calls.

River: (7 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 11 BB, between Hero and MP2.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP2 (11 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ac Kh (two pair, aces and kings).
MP2 shows 5c 5s (three of a kind, fives).
Outcome: MP2 wins 11 BB. </font>

With the raise on the river, I had MP2 on the more obvious flush.
Was this a bad call?

Thanks for the input.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Is this normal for Party?

You should have raised this hand preflop. Maybe he would not have been around to catch that river card.

To answer your question, yes this is typical at Party. That is why I play there. I love people like your opponent who hang around trying to catch a 2-outer. Good luck to you.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:15 PM

Raise preflop.

Even if your opponent doesn't fold before the flop since he now thinks you probably have a big hand he is more likely to fold before he gets to the river. Even if he doesn't he did exactly what you wanted him to do. Certainly it hurts when they hit their two outer, but you want that guy drawing two outs every single time.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:16 PM

This stuff happens...it stinks, but it does happen. You should have raised pre-flop, but other than that you played it fine, and to be honest I think this guy was gonna stick around for the river no matter what.

If you're seeing swings THAT big at the micro-limits, you should maybe take some time to examine your play and see if maybe there are things you could do to reduce your bankroll swings. Maybe you're chasing too much, or calling raises with less than solid hands. Post some other hands and get some comments.....
Old 06-28-2004, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the help. Yeah, looking back, I should have raised pre-flop. But like you said, he was likely going to stick around anyways.

And I know that's a good thing. We want players to stick around like this. The problem is that, at Party, it's been my experience that they hit their outs more often than not. Maybe it only seems that way to me, since I do so badly there. Or maybe I'm just a bad player. I'd like to think of myself as tight-aggressive. But probably, as you can see from my previous example, I'm much more weak-tight. Something I really need to work on.

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:48 PM

looks like BB didn't hit his outer.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:03 PM

Many people are making very good money at Party Poker. Think about it rationally. We are micro/low limit players. What is more likely? That there is a scam going on? Or that we are leaking chips in a number of areas of our game?
Old 06-28-2004, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But like you said, he was likely going to stick around anyways.

And I know that's a good thing. We want players to stick around like this. The problem is that, at Party, it's been my experience that they hit their outs more often than not. Maybe it only seems that way to me, since I do so badly there. Or maybe I'm just a bad player. I'd like to think of myself as tight-aggressive. But probably, as you can see from my previous example, I'm much more weak-tight. Something I really need to work on.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You couldn't have gotten that guy out of there with dynamite. He's a low limit calling station, and he's in there for the duration. He probably would have called on the end if he didn't hit trips, just to "keep you honest."

Any one player doesn't hit his suck out draw at Party any more often than anyplace else. The difference is that there are more of them hanging on to the end at Party, so there is a greater likelihood of one of them sucking out. It's called Implicit Collusion. With more people in the pot who don't belong there, it is as if they are colluding against the good player. The result is that you win fewer pots, but they should be bigger when you do win. I haven't seen any numbers on it, but I would think that the variance at Party would be great than elsewhere because of this.

Also, are you using Poker Tracker? Reality doesn't always conform to our self-image. I always considered myself to be tight-aggressive, but PT told me otherwise. So I'm working on playing tighter and more aggressively.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the help. Yeah, looking back, I should have raised pre-flop. But like you said, he was likely going to stick around anyways.

And I know that's a good thing. We want players to stick around like this. The problem is that, at Party, it's been my experience that they hit their outs more often than not. Maybe it only seems that way to me, since I do so badly there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played two table .50-$1 this morning. At one table, I lost $25 in an hour, with people outdrawing my great hands every time I turned around (set of nines outdrawn by backdoor flush, etc). But at the other table I made $40 in the same hour, with my good hands holding up against people calling with nothing but middle pair and wishful thinking. So in the end, the good luck will always even up with the bad luck, and your skill is what will make the difference between losing and winning.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:48 PM

Yes. This is normal Party.

Raise preflop, the pair of fives might have folded when both Ace and King hit the board, instead of merely checking/calling all the way to hit his river trips.

I notice the BB stayed in donating all the way and folding on the river, what more could you want?
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]