Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2004, 01:29 AM

Default Lay down QQ here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed) converter

UTG (t3895)
Button (t2690)
SB (t4345)
Hero (t2570)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t1200</font>, Button calls t1200, SB folds, Hero folds.

I just started playing SNGs recently on stars and have found them alot more fun than the ring game grind. Normally I would push here without much thinking but the buttons call here kinda threw me off. Why would you call away almost half your stack unless you have something that didn't matter too much what the flop brought (AA or KK). So I figured thats what he had and was trying to get an extra bet out of UTG on the flop so he could win a bigger pot, so I mucked my QQ. Is this way too much monster under the bed thinking or did I do the right thing here?
Old 06-27-2004, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Lay down QQ here?

Is this a $5 or $10 SNG? If so, he makes the call because he's a bad player. I'd push here, but then, I get a lot of fourths.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:28 AM

I'm guessing here that three players will make the money.

I put UTG on A-mid, maybe a pair but it's below QQ
Button has AA, KK, or AK.

Your better than a 2:1 favorite over UTG

AA or KK and your in trouble, but you have a slight edge over AK.

If I was playing this game in my typical tight fashion, everyone at the table would figure UTG was trying to steal the pot from me. Thus the Button could call with a lot more hands, like JJ, TT, 99. I think I would call and push on any reasonable flop.

I like QQ, but that's because I busted out 2 players today. Both of them were holding AKs. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2004, 03:48 AM

I'd fold it. Odds are they have A or K or both. Losing means out of the tourney since you are short stack. Plenty of time to attack later without two already in. Let them battle it out and hopefully there will only be three at the end of that hand.
Old 06-27-2004, 04:06 AM

folding here is not a bad idea at all IMO. It sure hurts to lay down QQ, but the smooth call from the button suggests he wants the BB to call, or he wants the original better to make a steal attempt on the flop.

I would put the UTG on a steal(with a decent hand) and the button on no less then AK.

A lot of this depends on how they have played until this point. Folding is a good idea, and I think you need a good read to push.
There is a very good chance that by folding you make the money. If an A flops
Old 06-27-2004, 06:45 AM

this is the kind of situation that makes you wish you had stolen one more blind at 50/100. if that were the case, you'd be more inclined to push all in.

you might get it heads up with the utg raiser becuase the other guy doesn't want to bust fourth. i think laying down is reasonable either way.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:30 PM

I'd hate to play QQ here against more than 1 player...if this is 5$ SnG it more likely the caller has KJs or 66 etc...people tend to push with AA KK AK....

If this average table I would push,...if the caller seems to be strong player I fold the ladies...I definately don't call
Old 06-27-2004, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a $5 or $10 SNG? If so, he makes the call because he's a bad player. I'd push here, but then, I get a lot of fourths.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a 6+.50 turbo SNG. I honestly see no skill difference between the $5 and $10 though
Old 06-27-2004, 02:50 PM

Default Results

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="C00000">UTG (t3895)</font>
<font color="C00000">Button (t2690)</font>
SB (t4345)
Hero (t2570)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t1200</font>, Button calls t1200, SB folds, Hero folds.

Flop: (t2475) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t2475) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets t400</font>, Button calls t400.

River: (t3275) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets t2270 (All-In)</font>, Button calls t1065 (All-In).

Final Pot: t6610
<font color="green">Main Pot: t5405 (t5405), between UTG and Button.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG (t5405).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t1205 (t1205), returned to UTG.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows Ad 4s (full house, aces full of fours).
Button shows Kd Jd (two pair, aces and jacks).
Outcome: UTG wins t6610. </font>

I figured UTG on Ax or even Kx. I overestimated the button obviously and have no idea what he was thinking the entire hand.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:48 AM

What about calling and pushing if no A/K flops?