Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2004, 05:20 AM

Default AQo slowplay?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (12.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 20.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ah Qd (full house, aces full of queens).
MP3 shows Kh Qh (two pair, aces and queens).
Outcome: Hero wins 20.75 BB. </font>

Often I would bet right out on this flop when pre-flop raising, but when 3-beted pf I slow down and maybe wont auto-bet. This seemed like a good oportunity to slow-play since flop was rainbow and I hit 2-pair-nuts. When the blank hits on turn I go for the check-raise and I am not worried about the re-raise on turn but I get a little worried about the cap, and more or less just intend to check-call down on river. Since I improved to pure nuts river was a relief... lucky me I got the action and no split. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] However, should I go for a check-raise on the river as well or will that just slow the oponent down? With pure nuts I do not want to risk a check behind.

Pre-flop, should I considder capping or should the capping be saved for (in this case HU) JJ, QQ, KK, AA, AKs, and maybe AKo?
Old 06-23-2004, 07:58 AM

Default Re: AQo slowplay?

If you have an aggressive opponent in such a hand here, your line is good. Especially if you have an over agressive one as, seemingly, you do here. Heads up situations differ from opponent to opponent; adjust accordingly.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 06-23-2004, 10:33 AM

Well played.. I wouldn't cap here pre-flop with AQo.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pre-flop, should I considder capping or should the capping be saved for (in this case HU) JJ, QQ, KK, AA, AKs, and maybe AKo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally you should not consider capping with AQo. Its a good hand, but it is not a powerhouse hand. In fact, often times you will not want to cap with any of those hands. Can you think of situations where you might not want to cap with AA?

Stu
Old 06-23-2004, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Generally you should not consider capping with AQo. Its a good hand, but it is not a powerhouse hand. In fact, often times you will not want to cap with any of those hands. Can you think of situations where you might not want to cap with AA?

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, not really. Against multiple oponents I still can bet pf for value and expect to win enough for this to be profitable.

In a HU-situation against some rock/solid player or habitual bluffer/maniac it could be good maybe, to mask AA by not capping and then save the raising to the turn or even river.