Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2004, 12:09 PM

Default Pocket Pairs not ahead of overcards preflop??

I thought that all pocket pairs had at least a slight advantage preflop but I was checking a specific comparison on twodimes and found that 5c 5h is not the favorite over Kh Th.
5c 5h: 49.63%
Kh Th: 49.74%

Am I the only one that wasn't aware of this? Granted, this isn't really a big deal as I always figure that it is pretty much a coinflip in all situations where I hold an underpair. Does anyone know which pocket pair is the biggest dog to specific overcard holdings?
Old 06-21-2004, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Pocket Pairs not ahead of overcards preflop??

JTs will be favored over any pp up to and including 77. Against 88 it's literally 50/50 to the nearest %, although 88 is a small favorite when you start getting into the fractions of a %.

The biggest edge would be a generic JTs against generic 22. 53.838 % to 46.162 %. If the pair of 2's doesn't include the suit of the JT hand then it becomes 53.979 % to 46.021 % and if the 2's do have the suit it's 53.697 % to 46.303 %

Even JTo is favored againt 22. 51.633 % to 48.367 % (as are a number of other unsuited connectors)

The reason why a hand like JT is favored where a hand like AK is not has to do with straight potential. It's easier to make a straight with JT (or KT for that matter) then AK.