Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2004, 07:24 PM

Default Just need a quick second opinion

Just sat down, first hand at the table, no reads, second or so session online in the last month. Just want to know if I got out of line on the turn.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>...
Old 06-20-2004, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Just need a quick second opinion

I think you lost to a made straight. That or an overplayed 2 pair or set. While a single turn raise may or may not mean much at Party, a turn 3-bet means something that can very frequently beat TPTK/Overpair. I just call the 3-bet and call down unimproved because I ain't folding aces.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:31 PM

I think the turn cap is a bit much. You raised preflop, bet the flop, checkraised the turn, and your opponent just doesn't seem fazed. I'm smelling a set or 45 turned str8. All you have is an overpair. Furthermore, why cap the turn unless you plan on betting out on the river? (which I think would be nuts). Consequently, I'm only calling the turn three-bet, checkcalling the river, and expecting to lose this way more times than I win.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:56 PM

You are out of line sir! What are you doing capping on the turn with nothing but a pair? Call the turn and call the river and curse at the punk who beat you with 66.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:08 PM

Lately I've just been 3 betting this flop. And still going for the turn CR. But lately I've been playing is some pretty Laggy 6-max games and I'm a greedy bastard.

Anyway I don't care for your cap. His flop raise would indicate he doesn't have a set as most people would wait till the turn and wouldn't want to shut everyone out on the flop. Unless he is very very loose he doesn't have 2 pair so that tells me he might have limped with AQ or KQ..he might have picked up a flush draw...he might have gone Agro with 56 on the flop, but againsts an unkown I'm not betting he would do any of these things with those types of hands so I'm going to call the 3 bet and check calling the river. Then use the info for the next time.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:10 PM

I really don't see a worse hand 3 betting your turn check raise. I'd just call down after his 3 bet.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:17 PM

The 3 bet definitely sends me into call down mode here.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lately I've just been 3 betting this flop. And still going for the turn CR.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the best line, and works great against many opponents.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just sat down, first hand at the table, no reads, second or so session online in the last month.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Hero is BB with A, A.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I borrow your pattern map?
Old 06-20-2004, 11:25 PM

Yeah, you can do this two standard ways. 3-bet the flop, or call his raise, then check-raise the turn. If you go with the turn c/r, you definitely don't want to be 3-bet and if you are, it's call down mode time.