Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2004, 01:54 PM

Default Frisky on button

Loose passive Party table. Opponent in this hand is solid. Stats 24/3. I have been hitting well at this table and am up +100 at the table. All my hands have been showing down well. My opponent did not like my play of course but thought I'd get others opinion.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 11.75 BB, between MP1 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (11.75 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP1 shows 9s 9c (three of a kind, nines).
Hero shows Qd Kd (straight, ace high).
Outcome: Hero wins 11.75 BB. </font>

Comments?
Old 06-18-2004, 02:06 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Frisky on button

if he's raising 3% PF, why did you 3-bet and not muck?
Old 06-18-2004, 02:06 PM

I don't know that I three bet before the flop, but after the flop looks solid.
Two overcards, a gut shot and a back door flush on the flop is certainly worth a semi bluff and call on the flop.
A gut shot plus nut flush draw seems worth a call on the turn, and it's hard to put your opponent on an ace here with the action so far so hitting a king or a queen may win too.
Raising with the nuts on the end, well, that may have been a little fisky [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2004, 02:13 PM

To me the only questionable play on your part is re-raising pre-flop; I would have just called. Everything else seems just fine.

I think he made the big mistake by not betting out the flop. He let you close the betting pre-flop so why not lead out with his middle set?? It's doubtful you're going to fold to his lead bet and if you then raise, he should re-raise and keep the pressure on you. Am I wrong here??
Old 06-18-2004, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt that his raise may be more due to being folded to him rather than a premium hand. Also I wanted to get rid of the pesky blinds.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt that his raise may be more due to being folded to him rather than a premium hand. Also I wanted to get rid of the pesky blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a spot where you'd rather have the blinds play, IMHO. The reason why is that domination concerns become less important the more players that are in the hand.

http://www.twodimes.net/poker/?g=h&amp;b...+6h%0D%0AJs+9c

http://www.twodimes.net/poker/?g=h&amp;b...%0AKd+Qd%0D%0A
Old 06-18-2004, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That might have been a better move with a hand like pocket tens or jacks.
With a hand like this, you want the blinds to play..
Old 06-18-2004, 03:22 PM

- I wouldn't have 3 bet preflop. Maybe not even called. (too tight?)

- On the flop, you're looking pretty bad heads up-

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=367297
pokenum -h qd kd - 9s 9c -- 6h td 9h
Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing Td 9h 6h
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Kd Qd 158 15.96 817 82.53 15 1.52 0.167
9s 9c 817 82.53 158 15.96 15 1.52 0.833

But, I would have assumed a set on his part, so it's reasonable that your hand looked better than it was.

Given the action, I might have checked the flop, hoping for a perfect free card.

I would also seriously consider (given the previous actions) folding to the flop check-raise.

When you've gone as far as the turn, you gotta see the river..

Not the best playing IMO, but maybe you tilted the guy a bit?
Old 06-18-2004, 05:38 PM

Nate,
This is a great response. What if the raiser was a little LAG? Would it ever be correct to 3 bet in this situation or is it usually better to cold call and hope for a multiway pot?

I am thinking back on situations like this where I have had KQs and I cannot remember ever 3 betting. But if you fold in this spot are you giving up to much? I am sure I have folded occasionally.

TheRake