Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2004, 09:56 AM

Default Phil Hellmouth

Is it just me or is every story of his from the past 6 months about big laydowns?? At this point it seems if he's betting he is on a bluff, and if he has the goods, well then I guess their hitting the muck [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2004, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Phil Hellmouth

I'm getting the impression Phil wants to win by betting everybody off pots...never by showdown -

that crack where his opponent had 7's but might have hit a third (cracking Phil's Q's) made me realize - he can't handle showdown poker -

anybody who still plays poker thinking the way to amass chips is to bluff and take down pots uncontested is in for a rude awaking - the new breed of tourney player doesn't feel like getting bluffed off hands..

(and that included Annie Duke - who accidently bluffed into an unknown Canadian WCP and called him an amateur before knowing who he was...LOL)
Old 06-16-2004, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(and that included Annie Duke - who accidently bluffed into an unknown Canadian WCP and called him an amateur before knowing who he was...LOL)

[/ QUOTE ]

I still love that story. I wonder if that guy's any good? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2004, 02:13 AM

I guess I didn't hear the Annie Duke story - perhaps it's on here somewhere, but I guess I missed it, do tell. PLZ
Old 06-20-2004, 04:55 AM

She made this big overbet all-in bluff on the river when I think there had been no betting on the flop or the turn and the guy called her down with A high.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:19 PM

I just read his Card Player article.

I need to vomit now.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Phil Hellmuth\'s latest article

Here's Phil's latest article, where the Annie Duke hand (and how all the other great pros busted out) is mentioned: http://www.philhellmuth.com/hotw.html
Old 06-20-2004, 05:18 PM

i had only heard that she was bothered by 'all the amateurs' bascially ruining the game.

i hadn't heard that the 'amateur' who burner her was in fact no amateur at all. very cool.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:37 PM

Judging from all the commercials and deals his video doesn't seem to be selling too well. Based on his past accomplishments I might have been more willing to buy it, but now seeing what he is really like on tv there's no way. I don't even think he's in the top 20 list this year, maybe he should start reading books instead of writing them !!
Old 06-20-2004, 11:17 PM

i read the most recent PH article on my own but Hero (my girlfriend and no limit holdem novice) went crazy over it as she reread it to me line by line on the porch last wednesday trying to learn the thinking of a top level "pro". it was one of the most entertaining evenings in my life. we both can't wait to see this series of hands on tv.

don't you think it must be fun being PH's therapist?

~ rick

btw, what is the best source of getting the best info regarding actual espn or wpt broadcasts. so much seems to change at the last minute and i have a non poker playing friend tape it.