Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2004, 02:37 AM

Default I feel i played this hand poorly.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button (t790)
Hero (t1905)
BB (t993)
UTG (t2227)
MP (t1820)
CO (t5765)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t200</font>, MP? folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t650</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t2227</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t2977
Old 06-16-2004, 03:22 AM

Default Re: I feel i played this hand poorly.

You have NO read on this guy at all? 6 handed BB is T100? Well OK, totally without a read I would say most likely you have the guy dominated or a coinflip, except the times he has AA/KK. However, any substantial raise you make (like your 650) is going to commit you to the pot; though I don't suggest calling the minbet either because you want the BB to stay out of it. So I push in response to his minbet here, and the times I lose to AA/KK I say oh well and start another SnG; most times here he folds though, unless he wants to stake his whole tourney where he's likely dominated or a coinflip...

Edit: fixed a typo and made what I said more clear (even if it's still wrong [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Old 06-16-2004, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
most times here he folds though, unless he wants to stake his whole tourney where he's likely dominated or a coinflip...

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW that's extremely insightful. I don't know if you meant for it to be or not, but when i read that something just clicked. Most people are as scared of a raise/push as you are... in all except the BEST situations AA/KK. To be quite honest i never even thought about pushing for some reason... can't say why, but after i laid it down i knew i'd done the wrong thing. I KNOW he had a hand, but i feel he could have played it with anything down to JJ/AQs maybe lower. Never thought how a push would effect him, but that's a FAR superior choice to raising 650 and folding to an all in.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:16 AM

I don't like reraising to 650. Either call, or go all-in. Both are fine decision.

Assuming you do reraise to 650, you have an easy call. Just calculate the odds the pot is offering you to call.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:19 AM

I like to call in this situation....lets you stay in tourney if flop misses....

Old 06-16-2004, 03:36 PM

I don't like calling here because BB might call with any two that have decent implied odds; and then if he hits his flush while you hit your ace or king, he will be the one who gets your chips. IMO better to not have to worry about that situation.

Just my $.02...
Old 06-16-2004, 05:39 PM

this early in the tourney i would either just call preflop or go all in. what did you think of his minraise? it is unlikely that he would minraise with AA or KK since if he wanted callers he would just call and hope to be raised so he could come over the top.

Pat