Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2004, 04:16 PM

Default Carpal \\\'Tunnel (for real)

I don't know about you guys, but 4-tabling, playing for hours at a time.. my arm is really getting strained. How do you guys do it? I've tried a wide assortments of desk chairs and mice/trackballs but nothing seems to work. Do you guys use any kind of special ergonomic stuff? My arm/wrist is on the verge of quitting on me! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2004, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Carpal \\\'Tunnel (for real)

I've been 8-tabling with my new computer and two monitors. But, I'll usually been playing in 2-3 hour shifts.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:36 PM

One possible problem: When using your mouse, you should use your elbow as a pivot point, not your wrist. Your wrist should be floating and moving with your arm, not sitting on your desk rotating. This is not an easy habit to break, but if you find that it's what your doing you should try to break it.

I use an Aeron chair (if you haven't tried one, I highly recommend it). It has a great adjustable arm rest and I set it slightly above the level of the mouse pad. When I'm using the mouse, my elbow is always resting in one spot on the arm-rest. When I move the cursor from left to right I am moving my entire forearm left-right. Up-down and small mouse adjustments are done with my fingers.

Another thing to try would be increasing your mouse sensitivity. If it is set really low you are moving the mouse more than you need to.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:34 PM

one of the women in my office uses a device that connects to the desk with a ball joint that you put your elbow in while using the mouse. it feels very comfortable and natural whenever im fixing her pc.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:39 PM

id use a trackball in my lap and in different positions. and learn to use it in either hand. this way when both wrists go you will be even.
then consider if that is the way you want to spend your youth.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
then consider if that is the way you want to spend your youth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sooga: Read this Zee line... Now, read it again, and again, and again. Read it until it sinks in. I'm serious.

To answer Sooga's question. I don't have lengthy multi-tabling sessions. But, for what it's worth, I use a track ball, and so my fingers are the only constantly moving parts of my arm/hand combination.

-RMJ