Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2004, 08:14 PM

Default now i\'m really cross

theres a bloke in quantanamo bay who comes from where i live - his name is david hicks

he grew up in the northern suburbs of adelaide, a city of 800,000 or so - he got rounded up in the war in afghanistan - no-one is too sure what he did although there seems little doubt that he had some connection with bad guys in afghanistan

for the last 2 years or so the sycophantic australian government has done nothing - our foreign minister when pushed about why an australian citizen was being held in custody by a foreign government without any detailed allegation being made, or more to the point any charges being laid, stated that although the circumstances werent clear it was likely that he was involved in some "silly activities"

so finally george and his administration have announced what they are going to do - very few details have been provided but it seems that a brand new system of charges in front of a new judicial body has been invented

i have been cross for a while about quantanamo bay prisoners - no-one seems shocked at the blatant disregard for what i figured were fundamental rights that human beings have in a civilised world - i've heard george on the topic a few times - he usually dodges the question but when pushed i heard him say once that the prisoners in quantanamo bay were "killers"

that leads me to my latest and perhaps most profound sense of outrage - those devising the brand new system of "justice" for these prisoners had to come up with an appeal process from the body that hears the charges - the choice ? - the appeal goes to george - so i'm charged with being a very bad guy in afghanistan, some body specifically designed to hear charges against me convicts me and i get to appeal to the guy who's political credibility rests on my demise and whos on the record as describing me as a killer

take a step back citizens of the US - next time you scoff at the world bashing your country and/or government consider that you hold yourself out in repeated rhetoric as the land of the free yet this is how you behave ??

your a wanker george - normally i just wouldnt care but now its just a bit too close for me to be happy ignoring you

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 06-10-2004, 08:27 PM

Default Re: now i\'m really cross

"he got rounded up in the war in afghanistan - no-one is too sure what he did although there seems little doubt that he had some connection with bad guys in afghanistan"

Uh-huh. The guy got lucky he wasn't killed along with some of his terrorist buddies, and you're cross about it. By the way, do you think bin-Laden deserves a full due process and a fair trial, or to have a 500-lb. bomb dropped on his head?
Old 06-10-2004, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, do you think bin-Laden deserves a full due process and a fair trial, or to have a 500-lb. bomb dropped on his head?

[/ QUOTE ]

a while ago, civilised countries decided that bias and prejudice often born of a lynch mob mentality was no way to deal with those accused of doing the wrong thing - to implement a system free of such things principles of human rights and fairness were enshrined in the system - am i going too fast ??

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 06-10-2004, 10:58 PM

Sorry, but I think as much of al-Qaeda as possible should have been blown up in Afghanistan--which includes any of their up-to-no-good buddies who were hanging around their training camps.

That's the civilized way to deal with it--kill those guys who are trying to kill you before they succeed. There is absolutely no doubt that's what al-Qaeda has been trying to do. Guilt by association? Sure, in this extreme case. Anyone hanging out with al-Qaeda around their training camps in Afghanistan was a legitimate target after 9/11.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's the civilized way to deal with it--kill those guys who are trying to kill you before they succeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

and all lived happily ever after...
Old 06-10-2004, 11:36 PM

Just because you dont hear it in the right wing dominated media, there are plenty of American citizens who are upset and concerned about Gitmo. Unfortunately with the passage of time it seems like the bad guys (Bush Admin) win, time is unfortunately on their side.

Not all of us share MMMMMM's decidedly un-American and extremely fascist views.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:36 PM

Just because you dont hear it in the right wing dominated media, there are plenty of American citizens who are upset and concerned about Gitmo. Unfortunately with the passage of time it seems like the bad guys (Bush Admin) win, time is unfortunately on their side.

Not all of us share MMMMMM un-American and extremely fascist views.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:07 AM

AcPlayer you are living in a vacuum. First of all the media is decidedly left wing and next very few Americans think Gitmo is a bad idea. Please prove otherwise.

Jimbo
Old 06-11-2004, 01:34 AM

Default You have no idea what you are talking about .... again n/t

Old 06-11-2004, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AcPlayer you are living in a vacuum. First of all the media is decidedly left wing and next very few Americans think Gitmo is a bad idea. Please prove otherwise.

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, GE is so left wing. i saw the CEO at a protest the other day. Viacom is nothing but a pawn for the left. They didn't want to upset their left-wing sponsorers mcdonalds. And Walt Disney, well, when i think "communist", that damn mouse always comes to mind.