Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2004, 06:02 PM

Default SNG statistics.. what\'s should be aimed for

I just recently started using pokertracker and was wondering what was a good goal for average finish and % in the money as far as single table tourneys.

Thanks
Old 06-07-2004, 02:49 AM

Default Re: SNG statistics.. what\'s should be aimed for

how bout this?
whatever is profitable [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2004, 06:54 AM

As far as sngs are concerned, most of pokertrackers stats are useless (My Opinion).

That said, any ITM rate of 35-50% is good so long as you are getting a positive ROI
ROI is really what matters most though higher ITM does reduce variance. You also want at least a normal distribution of money finishes between 1,2,3rd places with hopefully more 1sts than anything else

I no longer use pokertracker and instead just plug all my results into an excel spreadsheet so that I can calculate other useful stats

Standard deviation per tourney
Total Standard deviation
Confidence in avg profit per tourney
Risk of Ruin
Finish Ratios
% of making top 3 with 4 left
% of making top 3 with 6 left
etc...

These stats can actually tell you something about leaks in your game and about how confident you should be in your results. After all, who cares if your average finish is 4.2. What does that mean anyways?
You might be getting 4th all the time and that's no good.

A better thing to know would be how your % of making the top 3 (or two or whatever) compares at any given point in the tourney to what the statistical norm would be.

Pokertrackers note taking ability is still useful so you can see who among your competition is actually finishing well but I actually don't use pokertracker at all anymore

Regards
Brad S
Old 06-07-2004, 10:19 AM

Hi Brad,

I've read a bunch of your posts on SNGs....good stuff. About this spreadsheet. Are there formulas you use in excel? I basically suck at excel other than really basic stuff. Do you have a copy of that spreadsheet with the formulas that I could have a look at? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-07-2004, 05:04 PM

What stats do you take so you can calculate '% of making top 3 with 4 left' etc? I just track Tounry length, profit of each tourney and finish, from which I can calculate average length, average finish, ITM and ROI, but that's about it.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:27 PM

Default Sample Spreadsheet

Hi,

Here is a sample spreadsheet that I made for recording and analyzing sng results

Spreadsheet

Actually, it isn't exactly what I use anymore as I am almost constantly modifying it whenever I get bored and have nothing better to do.

The results listed are just sample results. I just made them up

This spreadsheet is bad for a few reasons. It is only designed to input from 20+2. This is ok in itself, but I'm making another where you will fill in one feild with the sng buy-in and it will change the entire spreadsheet to suit that sng type. I'm playing a lot of 30+3 now, and a universal spreadsheet seems like a better idea than constantly modifying whenever I move up.

If a person wanted to use this spreadsheet for another buy-in, there is a lot of fiddling with individual formulas, etc... that would need to be done.

Remember, the only fields that should ever be filled in are the grey fields. The rest all calculates automatically. Actually, the # of players feild can be changed too for all you pokerstars players. I just have it set at 10 becasue I'm only playing on Party lately.

If you ever went beyond the 100 sng mark (which is all I've included in this sample), you would need to copy and paste the results rows for as many more as you would need. You would also need to change the source data entries for the graphs. (Not hard stuff to do, but a pain nonetheless)

This spreadsheet also does not track length of tourneys so it will not give an hourly rate. These days I only play about 50 sngs/mo so I never really care much about that, but for some players it is very important, particularly when thinking about multi-tabling etc...

Excel looks daunting at first, but it isn't. I just started learning about it a few months ago. I suspect that in another year, I will have a sng spreadsheet that will make this one look silly.

There are a lot of other interesting stats which I want my spreadsheet to record
Things like:

Confidence in each finish %
Streak/Slump stats
Risk of Ruin based on Current online BR
Stats of results following wins/bubble finishes, etc...
Lots more graphs (what can I say, I like graphs)
Results when multi-tabling
Others stuff

I suspect that there are other players (Bozeman Maybe. He always seems to have nice graphs in his results posts) who have really good spreadsheets also.

Hope this helps
Brad S
Old 06-07-2004, 05:37 PM

For % of making top 3 with 4 left, take your # of 1,2 & 3rd place finishes and divide by 1,2,3, & 4th place finishes

This value should be higher than .75. If it is a lot lower, then your bubble play is bad and you might be getting to the final 4 shortstacked too often. If it is a lot higher, I envy you.

Similar things can be done to calculate any finish ratio

Check out my spreadsheet sample. It does it all automatically

Regards
Brad S
Old 06-07-2004, 06:04 PM

Having problems downloading the sample, permission denied
Old 06-07-2004, 06:13 PM

Anyone else having this problem?

Seems like it works to me, but then - it's my site so...
Did you pick 'Run from current location'? I'm not sure how that would make any difference but that is what I did and it worked.

Regards
Brad S
Old 06-07-2004, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else having this problem?

Seems like it works to me, but then - it's my site so...
Did you pick 'Run from current location'? I'm not sure how that would make any difference but that is what I did and it worked.

Regards
Brad S

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what you mean by 'run from current location'... I clicked the link then on the file, and get the following:

Forbidden
Remote Host: [xx.xx.xxx.xxx]

You do not have permission to access http://www.aleomagus.freeservers.com...t%20sample.xls
Data files must be stored on the same site they are linked from.

Thank you for using FreeServers