Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2004, 08:42 AM

Default AA and a scare card

27$ Turbo. 9 players still in, blinds 15/30. Not much of a read. All players at about T1500.

UTG limps. UTG+1 folds. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on UTG+2, and I raise to 90. MP calls, and UTG calls.

Flop: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG checks, I bet 330. MP thinks and calls. UTG folds. I put MP on some K. There are straight draws, but K is much more reasonable. Anyway, I am planning to push on the turn, unless a K hits.

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Your move?
Old 06-04-2004, 08:47 AM

Default Re: AA and a scare card

a player with a K would probably raise on the flop since you could be raising with two overcards, or at least he is not afraid of AA since he called your raise. when the K comes i would bet out and fold if raised since if he doesnt have a K he cant call even a small bet.

Pat
Old 06-04-2004, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a player with a K would probably raise on the flop since you could be raising with two overcards, or at least he is not afraid of AA since he called your raise. when the K comes i would bet out and fold if raised since if he doesnt have a K he cant call even a small bet.

Pat

[/ QUOTE ]

Many loose players, especially early on, might call a PF raise with, say KTs, and then only call on the flop, since they are not sure of their kicker. I've seen this so many times, I don't need him to raise in order to assume he's possibly on a K. If he had AK or KQ, yes, good chance he would raise, but not always. I see people calling bets like this with KQ on this flop, being afraid of AK.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:47 AM

You are absolutely right. Many weak players who call raises they shouldn't preflop, will merely call with top pair weak kicker because they don't know what else to do.

If I were you, I'd go with your read. He could have a straight draw or a seven, but its not as likely as a K.

I'd check, if he bet a nice amount, I'd give him credit and fold. If he's drawing he may check behind.

And if he makes a push all in, which I may read as desparate (opponent dependant), I call.

Once again, this entirely depends on your read. I reccomend checking the turn.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:34 PM

Default Results

[ QUOTE ]
You are absolutely right. Many weak players who call raises they shouldn't preflop, will merely call with top pair weak kicker because they don't know what else to do.

If I were you, I'd go with your read. He could have a straight draw or a seven, but its not as likely as a K.

I'd check, if he bet a nice amount, I'd give him credit and fold. If he's drawing he may check behind.

And if he makes a push all in, which I may read as desparate (opponent dependant), I call.

Once again, this entirely depends on your read. I reccomend checking the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking. I decided to check and see how he acts. I was ready to fold, depending on what I feel. He pushed. It looked, of course, like an over-bet for trips K, but too many times lately I've seen people pushing when they hit their draw. Some players are just uncapable of hiding their enthusiasm. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I thught about calling, but decided I don't want to bust here. If he had pushed with pair of sevens - so be it: He bluffed me out of my AA. But I think there's a very good chance he did have the K there - as I was watching him later on. He wasn't the bluffing type of a player.

So, yeah, I folded AA. The K was the one turn card that could make me do that.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Results

Good fold, even if he was bluffing. Tip your cap, move on. You are alive and have a stack. How'd ya finish?
Old 06-04-2004, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Results

Busted on the bubble. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]