Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2004, 04:05 AM

Default two pair early in the tournament

Pokerroom 10+1, so we all start with 1500 chips. Blinds are at level 2, which is 15/30. I have AsTd in the BB. UTG limps, two late limpers, SB folds, I check. 4 people in, pot is 135. Everyone in has ~1500 chips.

Flop comes AcQh7c. I lead with 200, UTG instantly calls (must have checked the "call any" box), the others fold. 535 in the pot, turn comes Ts. I bet 450, UTG raises almost all in. I go ahead and put him all in, leaving myself with about 100.

Sure enough, he's got the KJ. No help on the river.

Did I definitely make a mistake? If so, was it that bad a mistake? Usually I wait for a bigger edge before I push it, considering how bad these players tend to be. In hindsight, his most likely holdings were AA, QcTc, or of course the KJ. Your thoughts?
Old 06-04-2004, 05:55 AM

Default Re: two pair early in the tournament

I would have been more worried about 77 or AQ. Both are acceptable hands to limp with UTG (in a passive game). the flat call on the flop by AQ would be a bad play but I often see it done. flat call with 77 is also probably bad, but not terrible.

I would not have bet on the flop. I would certianly not had OVER bet the flop. You are out of position and a raise by anyone means you have to fold. a T kicker is crap.

Tim
Old 06-04-2004, 10:42 PM

Default Re: two pair early in the tournament

AQ and 77 would of course be scary, but I doubt someone would insantly call on the flop with those hands. Regardless, the point is I should have known I was screwed on the turn.

As for overbetting the pot, I agree that perhaps that was a bad spot to do it in. Though in theory, I kinda like the idea in many cases, especially when the blinds are small and the money is deep. See, in that spot, if I had put in a standard pot bet (130), and if he 'knew' I would pay him in full if he hit his gutshot, he would be getting proper odds to draw to it. But with my 200 bet, even if he was guaranteed to clean me out if he hit, it still wasn't worth it. Does this makse sense? Are there any good threads on this board about bet size I should check out?

Thanks,
Sean