Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2004, 09:46 PM

Default How bad did I play this hand?

Heya all. First post here and looking for some general feedback on my play here. I was slowplaying this hand, something I typically hate, but I had a tight table image (feared just stealing the blinds as I had done a few times with good hands) and was hoping to suck out some money.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t60 (8 handed)

UTG+1 (t1065)
MP1 (t870)
MP2 (t2390)
Hero (t980)
Button (t2480)
SB (t905)
BB (t780)
UTG (t530)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t60, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero raises to t120, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls t60, UTG+1 calls t60.

For a true slow play, I would have called here, but I still thought the min raise would show some weakness.

Flop: (t390) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Great looking flop for me, maybe I'll find a sucker.

Turn: (t390) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
BB checks, UTG+1 bets t60, Hero raises to t120, BB folds, UTG+1 raises to t180, Hero calls t60.

Wow, I pretty much just flopped the nuts and I'm bet into. I pretty sure I'm thinking wrong here, but I don't put him on any real hand here. I have a real tight table image at this point and layed down on a few min bets up to this point in the SNG. As far as a read on him, he wasn't overly tight or loose, fairly normal player that I didn't have a great read on. I give him a min raise to get a feel if he has anything. He calls.

River: (t750) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets t300, UTG+1 bets t300, Hero bets t600.

I bet 300 here trying to see if he actually has a 3, maybe he just hit a straight, maybe 2 pair. None of these concern me. I see his raise and drool...got him. I go all in....

Final Pot: t1650

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG+1 shows 3c 3d (four of a kind, threes).
Hero shows Ks Kd (full house, kings full of threes).
You probably could have guessed this since I posted it. Lost to someone slowplaying my slowplay.
Outcome: UTG+1 wins t1650. </font>

In retrospect, on this exact hand, I don't think there is any way I could have come out on top without a serious overbet preflop. Once I hit trips, I was pretty much married to this hand. Especially after I hit the boat.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:56 PM

Default Re: How bad did I play this hand?

I dont think anyone would ever lay that down. Only way I see you winning this is a bigger raise preflop may have gotten the pocket 3s to fold.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:06 PM

How could you want him to fold ? Granted, he did hit, but he was drawing to ONE out. ONE. I think you played it fine, poker gods had it in for you there.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I could ever lay this down. I'm really just trying to get an idea, with a hand like this, how you think this should be played. At 30/60 blind point, should I just bet 3xBB and accept the blinds if it's folded to me. After the flop, should I check the trips? If not, what kind of bet would you lay down? At this point, the table has been a very weak table. Lots of calls and little raising prelop. Not many serious showdowns.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:17 PM

River: (t750) 6 (2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets t300, UTG+1 bets t300, Hero bets t600.

Do you mean...

River: (t750) 6 (2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets t300, UTG+1 raises t300, Hero calls t300.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:30 PM

Yeah, either the hand converter or myself messed that up.

(Edit) Also noticed I hacked up my notes after the turn. I said he called. I min raised him, he min raised me back, and I called.