Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2004, 12:33 PM

Default this hand got my chat revoked

Yesterday was a disaster. Nothing was going my way. I was getting rivered at an amazing pace. After a great 2 week run of cards, i basically give it all back yesterday. this hand is the icing on the cake. This is my 3rd buy-in to the same table of NL200 (6-handed) at Party. I lost my first buy-in to a higher set, and the second buy-in to a higher flush. So, I was running bad!

Now to this hand. Im in BB ($379) with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG ($90) calls $4, button ($550) raises to $10, SB folds, I call, and UTG calls. The button is very aggresive and very lucky, he came to table with $80 and now hes sitting at $550, he won two big hands on the river.

Flop comes out (2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]). I flop a ten high flush. Since I have a medium flush, I come out betting. I make a pot size bet of $30. Both smooth call. I'm thinking huh?, they got to be drawing to higher flush? I was actually going to be happy to take it down there. I dont feel to good about my ten high flush, considering an hour ago my Q high flush loses to K high with A on board. The turn brings Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. So four diamonds on board. NOw I'm really scared. I have no idea what to do now. For some stupid reason, I come out betting $100. Im not sure what I should of did here. So, UTG calls for his remaining chips, now hes all in, but now the button (PF raiser) goes all-in with his remaining $500. I quickly fold. the river was a rag. Now the showdown. The button wins the hand with his black A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]!!!! the UTG guy had A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I could not believe what just took place. The pot had close to $300, and I just folded the winner.

I have to be honest here, I went into a rage, I couldnt belive the maniac button was such an idiot, or maybe it was me? I was already on tilt, this just put me over the edge. I went on to get my chat banned for 10 days. Im still burning from this play. I cant believe this guy was willing to bluff so hard, damn i wish i was all-in after the flop.

anyways please help me out here, and input appreciated.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:40 PM

Default Re: this hand got my chat revoked

For what it's worth, once the 4th diamond hits the turn and you're raised, I would also lay down the T high flush. I would probably bet at least double the pot on the flop. That way once the 4th diamond hits the turn and I'm raised I can lay the hand down for good; admitedly it doesn't help this particular case, but it'll help all those other cases where you _are_ against a higher flush (which is going to be most of the time).

As far as the chat priviledges go, be content with thinking the hell out of all those verbal jabs.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:47 PM

Now that I'm thinking about it more. If he had the nut flush there is no way he bets all-in on the turn? am i correct? wouldnt he most likely call or just re-raise me another $100? by his all-in bet he is almost asking me to fold. I guess I could put him on J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] flush. Preflop Hes the kind of guy who would raise any two face cards.

I guess thats why the call it poker. But yesterday was very bad. I think I need some time off, im just to frustrated right now.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:36 PM

any input here? help a bro out
Old 05-28-2004, 01:58 PM

Not much you could have done, apart from possibly check raising instead of betting out if you knew that the button would still bet with a monotone flop. This would have, in most cases, knocked out UTG though this seems unlikely when considering that he called a pot bet with overcards.

After two cold calls on the flop and the subsequent action on the turn, I would have folded.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:03 PM

What kind of replies are you looking for?

Here's mine:

The hand didn't cost you your chat privileges, your tirade did. Stop doing that.

I probably would have folded too.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:05 PM

Hey.

This is a tough hand. Agreeing with the previous poster, I overbet the pot on the flop. You can not feel uncomfortable with your hand now. You must be willing to play this hand as if you are ahead of everyone, not fearful of a higher flush on the flop. If you are fearful, then you must fold preflop. You caught a near perfect flop for your hand, you must play it, otherwise why get involved PF?

On the turn, you fold to the reraise. He COULD have the Ace of diamonds, and wants you to fold your set or whatever. You are behind most of the time here. Give your opponent credit for a ballsy move (maybe stupid, maybe not) and move on. The fact that you went off in chat tells me:

1) You are playing too high a limit. You have to be able to lose your money at a table and have a clear head. Otherwise you are playing for too much money.

2) Poker is becoming something that it shouldn't be, a reason to get mad. Sure it can be frustrating, but there is no reason for you to take it to this level.

Good luck
Old 05-28-2004, 02:07 PM

"I was actually going to be happy to take it down there. I dont feel to good about my ten high flush, considering an hour ago my Q high flush loses to K high with A on board. The turn brings Q . So four diamonds on board. NOw I'm really scared. I have no idea what to do now."

First, what happened an hour ago, doesn't matter, except to muck up your thought process for this hand.

Second, step back from the hand. What did your bet and their calls mean on the flop? Other than BOTH of them flopping 2p or a set, one or BOTH have a flush now. The chance of the preflop raiser having a flush and yours is better is slim. As a matter of fact, it is a slim chance that if the other player has a flush you have the winning hand. You have bad position with an almost certainly dominated hand and a good amount of money left. You're screwed.

"NOw I'm really scared."

Don't forget, you must be a little angry and frustrated too. Your emotions made the turn betting decision. You have tilt issues that need to be addressed.

You should have checked and folded to almost any bet.

MS Sunshine
Old 05-28-2004, 02:21 PM

thanks alot guys. this is the kind of responses i was looking for. as to the guy who said i was playing too high of a limit. i think you are correct. i play NL100, thats my game. due to my tilt frame of mind i went up in limits. i lost over $1200 yesterday. all on bad beats. it took me over 2 weeks of grinding to make that money. its time for me to reassess the situation. i was not prepared to handle variance. im still hurting from the beats. where do i go from here? maybe take some time off and go back to my NL100 and $50 sng's?
Old 05-28-2004, 02:36 PM

Take your poker bankroll, divide it by 20. If this is above 50, then play the 50 dollar sngs. If this 30, play them. If this is less, play the 10 or 20 dollars. In terms of ring games, divide by 10. Thats my very unprofessional system of finding the right limit.