Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2004, 12:49 AM

Default Canada support of deserters

Canda refuge for US soldiers

I dont think Canada should be giving refuge to American soldiers who are running from their duty. As opposed to Vietnam, where they were mostly running from the draft, these soldiers are part of a volunteer army.

I sympathize with their convictions and oppositions, but having volunteered for the Military, they should put up with the consequences of their actions.

Canada should not meddle.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:14 AM

Default Re: Canada support of deserters

Who's meddling?

Some people knock on the door, we answer.

That's what you do when you're a humanitarian powerhouse.

Why should we care if they're cowards?
Old 05-28-2004, 01:53 AM

you are opening your doors to criminals, so if your fine with that then go ahead. Canada all ready gives everyone a slap on the wrist, why not these stupid cowards.

[ QUOTE ]
That's what you do when you're a humanitarian powerhouse.

[/ QUOTE ] Canada is indeed the last bastion of good in the world, oh Canada, please show the rest of the world how we should treat these people.

Those damn canucks are probably at the border with a joint and a beer [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] greating these "soldiers"...... damn now that I think about it, sign me up!!!
Old 05-28-2004, 02:06 AM

I don't believe you didn't catch the sarcasm in my post.

I simply don't believe it.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:24 AM

Default Derelicts of booty

"I dont think Canada should be giving refuge to American soldiers who are running from their duty. As opposed to Vietnam, where they were mostly running from the draft, these soldiers are part of a volunteer army."

(What's this, ACPlayer arguing that deserters from Iraq should be punished and Gamblor arguing that they should not be? Is this the Hunter S. Thompson thread?)

Young men volunteer to serve, I would speculate, mostly for economic reasons. The precentage of those volunteering out of sheer patriotic fervor should be much smaller. The volunteers, thus, look forward to the standard boredom and the relative economic security of civil service, albeit a service colored with some physical work, an rigid command structure, the chance to be buddies with other lads, and such like. They do not volunteer to die in Iraq! That's something they hadn't planned on!

So deserters from the U.S. Army are finding out the hard way the "risks of ruin" awaiting them. Although I personally support a fully volunteering army, for every country, I can understand what's going on here.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:53 AM

Default Re: Derelicts of booty

When you gamble you face risk of ruin. When you gamble sometimes you are ruined.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Derelicts of booty

What's this, ACPlayer arguing that deserters from Iraq should be punished and Gamblor arguing that they should not be? Is this the Hunter S. Thompson thread?

Deserters in a volunteer army, regardless of motivation for registration, should be punished by the nation of the army they joined.

While America would be right to punish deserters, Canada has no responsibility in the way of enforcing that punishment, not that I'd want a former deserter in my army.

A soldier must do two things:

1) Use his moral compass to determine how and if a specific order should be followed.

2) Accept that the orders of superiors are made to minimize danger to the citizens of his country and further the country's best interests.

Therefore: If he's shipped off to Iraq, he has to go. But if he doesn't want to fire his gun in carrying out orders, he doesn't have to.

Incidentally, knowing the Bushes' previous history in Iraq as well as Dub's connections, why did you vote him into office (even if it was coin-flip)?
Old 05-28-2004, 11:02 AM

ummm.....

Okay one thing is cleat cut here. You volunter to join the army, the army's main job is fight for the country, ergo if you don't want to fight in a war then the army is probably nopt where you want to go. I find it completely absurd that someone joins the army and then is shocked that they have to go fight in a war. Well no [censored] sherlock, thats what the [censored] army does.

Canada should mind their own business and send these deserters home. I saw on the news last week of a soldier who came back from Iraq for a two week vacation and decided to go AWOL because he didn't want to go back for moral reasons. Apparently he had been working at another prison over there ane he witnissed abuse. This soldier was convicted in a court martial and will be in prison for a year. Atleast this guy had a damn backbone. You might agree or disagree with his point of view, but the way he handled himself is far more respectable then these pussies that go up to Canada.

BTW, Gamblor I am not particularly responding to you here.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:14 AM

but the way he handled himself is far more respectable then these pussies that go up to Canada.

Agreed. You either stand up or you go back (assuming claiming "moral" opposition isn't a way to hide "I'm a pussy and I want to stay home").

Canada should mind their own business and send these deserters home.

I think it's quite the opposite. A female Afghani refugee arrives in Canada and the government should return her to the Taliban so they can jail her for popping a Britney Spears CD into her car? After all, that crime is just as serious there as draft dodging is here.

It's not like the deserter murdered anyone, he refused to serve (horseshit, but still not murder).

The point is, Canada would be getting involved if it DID return the soldier. By accepting the refusenik regardless of his political view on the war, Canada ignores the political aspect of the drama and does not kowtow to American interests.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:20 AM

when yo sign up as a mercenary you agree to do the job asked. so when you decide not to perform you have basically two choices. take the court martial and maybe jail, or run to a country that will give you refuge. personal choice to make.
canada gives refuge to those in theses situations and thats their choice. i applaude them for it.
the u.s. has given refuge to millions of people that have deserted their own countries because of their personal decisions not to follow the govts. orders. right or wrong.

overall it would be best if no country accepted others running away from problems at home. things get changed through the personal suffering of those that changed bad systems.