Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2004, 11:07 AM

Default DOH!

Party 1/2

Hero is LP2 with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG (TAG) calls, UTG+1 Folds, UTG+2 Calls UTG+3 Calls, CO Calls, LP1 Calls, Hero Raises, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+2 Calls, UTG+3 Calls, LP1 Calls

Flop J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG Bets, UTG+2 folds, UTG+3 folds, CO calls, LP1 folds, Hero ???

I was in a quandry. I had immediate odds (11.75:1 from the cards and 14:1 from the pot) to chase the gutshot. I fear a re-raise from UTG so a raise was out as it would have eliminated my immediate odds and not accomplished enough implied odds to call a bet on the turn.

I folded (never chase a gutshot was my thought), the turn spiked a 10. DOH! I think in typing this message I figured out that this is a no brainer call the flop fold to a bet on the turn, long run profitable play and a leak in my game. Anyone play it different then that?

thanks,

deke
Old 05-27-2004, 11:20 AM

Default Re: DOH!

(never chase a gutshot was my thought),

Unless the pot odds justify it. Its not chasing if it is mathmatically justified.

call
Old 05-27-2004, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I folded (never chase a gutshot was my thought)

[/ QUOTE ]

To take an example from Ed Miller, what if the pot was one million dollars and you had to put in $100 to see a turn card..would you still fold? You're getting 14:1 on your call here, closing the action, and you have the best position. I'd make this call all day.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think in typing this message I figured out that this is a no brainer call the flop

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that about says it. You definitely had the odds to call. Plus implied odds are pretty high for a straight as not many will put you on it. If you called the flop and raised the turn they will probably be more likely to put you on a good ace than the straight.