Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2004, 09:54 AM

Default So you really want to play No Limit?

My play on this hand was nothing short of egregious. Here goes.

I've made the move to 1/2 $200 buy in on Pokestars and I've been doing quite well. I had this had come up last night and I lost my whole stack. Pitiful.

I'm in EP ($194) and get dealt 7s. LP raises to $12. She's the big stack and obviously can play a little. I've watched her take money from several people and I respect her play. BB ($200) calls and I call. The flop comes 4 5 6 rainbow. The BB checks. I also check. It seems that it's time to lead into the raiser here or check raise. The range of hands I believe this person has is small. A big pair, AK suited, MAYBE AQ suited as the table is fairly tight and it's her game as of the moment. She bets $25 into a $36 pot. I call.

The turn brings a 10 putting two diamonds on the board. I check again and the raiser checks. After not betting the flop, it felt awkward to bet the turn. I'm on the defensive and out of position. Great combination for NL huh?

The river comes the 8 of diamonds giving me a straight and completing the possible flush. Now, I decide to lead out for $40. Duh. The only hands that are going to play with me are hands I can't beat particularly a giant flush. I no longer thinks she has a big pair because the turn bet wouldn't make sense in that case. She moves all in quickly and I call...quickly...doh!

She shows me the AK of diamonds and takes me whole stack. This is bad on so many levels but I want to understand the nuances of my moronic play completely so I don't get 'stacked' again.

Thoughts?
Old 05-27-2004, 10:35 AM

Default Re: So you really want to play No Limit?

I think your bet will get called by lots of non flush hands. I think you can safely fold to an allin raise here though, although it does seem unlikely she would have a flush.

--turnipmonster
Old 05-27-2004, 11:49 AM

The flush seemed unlikely to me also, thus the quick call. But when I thought about it later, she knew I was hanging around for some reason the straight being most obvious. She could have put me on trips, but I should have known without a doubt I was beat.

What about your play on the flop? And would you have even seen the flop?

Thanks for taking time to commment.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:17 PM

personally I would have called preflop, and led into the PF raiser on the flop for around 25. it's a good flop for 77, and it's pretty likely this flop missed the raiser. my main thought in this hand is not to give a free or cheap card on this flop when I probably have the best hand. a preflop raiser with position will usually bet any flop that's checked to them, so I want to put them to a decision by leading into them. against an overpair you are not in great shape:

http://www.twodimes.net/poker/?g=h&b...+7h%0D%0AQd+Qh

but you aren't that much of a dog, so I probably play back if the PF raiser raises on the flop (especially if it's a minraise). you are drawing very live against almost any hand they could have.

I am more worried about the BB if he doesn't fold. if HE plays back, it's a more difficult decision.

--turnipmonster
Old 05-27-2004, 12:23 PM

Fold preflop.

Don't call an additional 5 BB's when 1) it is 3 handed, 2) the raiser has position on you, and 3) you only have a pair of sevens.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:38 PM

I disagree, I think he is getting the correct odds in the hopes of flopping a set due to the BB calling. If I'm thinking correctly, the call if it were heads up is right around 10% of his stack, but now that the BB has called, that makes it lot easier...

Additionally, with low PP, they are essentially easy to play, you hit a set you play, so I think position is sort of irrelevant, until he flopped the OESD.

...correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:45 AM

I thought about folding preflop but it seems a classic example of Ciaffone's 5/10 rule. And once the BB came along, I felt it was right to call. The flop made it complicated.

I wish I had led, but the specter of the BB made me hesitant. Once I checked, she led and he folded I 'almost' check/raised.

Sorry to keep this thread alive, but does the check raise make sense to anyone? Or does it come off as fishy?

Again, thanks for taking time out to reply.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:58 AM

A $10 raise, with a almost $200 stack and another caller who has you covered, this is an autocall in this situation.
You have more than enough implied odds, esp. against an overpair, and position isnt of much importance bc a set is not difficult to play out of position.

Flop: I would lead out, see what LP does (and the BB), before planning the next move.
{preflop however, I would call any pocket pair here)

FsuPlayer
Old 05-28-2004, 10:02 AM

Maybe I should read every post before I reply as it looks like I am just regurgitating (sp.) everything AZK said. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Not used to being up this early.

FsuPlayer

BTW Call preflop [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2004, 10:24 AM

if i call with 77 and a LP as you described raises for 12 after i limp and i call and the flop is like that i cannot fathom checking and calling.

bet, or checkraise. if she is checked to and was the pf raiser its almost certain she'd bet at the pot for sure to protect her nut nopair type hand and would likely bet AT LEAST the pot with a pair, probably more. so i'd check with the intention of raising most of the time if she underbets the pot.

betting out the pot isn't a bad idea either since it is a dangerous board even if she has AA and you limped early and called a raise signalling a pair or hand you WANT to play.

great flop for your hand and even if you're behind you have so many outs since you know where shes at its sick...i don't think i'd be completely averse to checkraising all in since it LOOKS like a draw and you'd likely be called by AK, AQ in addition to all those pairs and you're not that much of a dog and can be ahead a lot of times. either way i bet, checkraise, or checkfold (very unlikely...she'd need to bet ALOT for that to occurr...more than i could c-r her with)

-Barron