Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2004, 09:33 PM

Default Project: Back to basics

Well I moved on up to 2/4 and it happened:

I hit some god damn cold cards. I wont get into details as they are really some typical bad beat whine fests. However, I am somewhat gratefull for this downswing. I realized something, my game is "missing" something. I have the concepts, I am just missing the glue to hold it all together. Anyways on to the point of this, I am moving back down to .5/1 and am going to stay there for at least 15k hands. I plan on playing 2 tables max and keeping my play ABC. After this amount of hands I should have a better feel for what to do when situations come up.

See you guys on the felt [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2004, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Project: Back to basics

Similar thing happened to me. I got a little overconfident in my poker skills in general, and started playing some 10 dollar SNG's... well that's not gone so well... haven't kept accurate records, but would estimated down 100-200 dollars on those. I played some NL hold em... down 50 on those. 1/2 6 max tables down 60. 2/4 Tables up 60 is about the only thing i tried that i had any success at. Overall 200 BB downturn, i'd say that 1/3 of it is cold cards and 2/3's is me not having a [censored] clue about what i'm doing. So i'm moving DOWN to .25/.5 on Pokerstars from .5/1 on Party Poker to hopefully play some better competition cheaper. Also i'm going to hone my tourney skills there as it seems to have better tournaments. We all know the reason we got into hold'em is for the drama of NL poker. So i feel i HAVE to become a competent NL player to achieve my true goals as a poker player. Glad somebody else is experiencing something similar.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:59 PM

Good plan. I did something similar, I was up pretty big at 2/4, then hit a downswing, moved down and played a lot of .5/1 and 1/2 and i just started playing 2/4 consistently again. It's a good way to get your confidence back.

But you have to realize that your confidence follows the cards, when you're running good then "I'm so much better than those f-ing clowns", when you're running bad "those guys are good and I might need to work on my game." It might be that nothing is changing but you luck. But, if you feel like maybe it might be tilting you or making you doubt your abilities then going to .5/1 is definitely a good move. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:09 PM

But, if you feel like maybe it might be tilting you or making you doubt your abilities then going to .5/1 is definitely a good move. Good luck.

Thanks for the nice words LU-

its not so much that i dont think i can beat 2/4, as i am pretty confident that i can. i just had to re-evaulaute my long term goal. i want to be a really good poker player and i think moving down and playing as many hands as possible to "glue" my limited knowledge together is whats best right now. kinda like finishing school i guess. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2004, 11:03 PM

Sounds like a good plan. FWIW, I've been mixing things up a little lately playing some PL/NL $25 games. Not sure yet if I'm a shark or one of the fishes but the players don't seem very good and are they like to make the dramatic bluffs like they do on WSOP.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:29 PM

I know exactly what you mean. I moved to 2-4 at the beginning of May. Dropped 100 big bets, moved back to 1-2, made it back and have been bouncing between good days and bad days ever since.

The swings are what get me. Anything from -50 to +50 BB. The problem is when you get a couple of those big losses a few sessions in a row. I've tried to hold those at bay by playing either a single 2-4 or 1 2-4 and 1 1-2.

I don't think the players are that much better at this level then at .5-1. I've had cold cards and getting blindsided by 64o or K4o at every level, but it seems to hurt a lot more here. I guess I'm just not used to seeing my bankroll flucuate so much yet.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:29 AM

I feel your pain.

I've been having trouble lately. I tend to believe cards are my problem, but I don't have the history to convince myself.

Needless to say, I've slowed down my play. I'm also spending a lot of time re-playing hands, reading 2+2, mining PT, trying to figure out new ways to win.

Currently, I'm working on the Party / Empire bonus play. I'm also comparing my results on Party and Paradise, and I might add another site or two. I'm also trying to figure out if there's statistical support to my "cold card" theory.

I'm definitely interested in defensive strategies that help people get through slumps. Other than more conservative starting hands, it would be interesting to see how (if?) people change their betting strategies when they're losing.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:43 AM

I've been on a real downswing lately as well and just dropped back to play some .5/1 last night. Luckily I had a real good weekend playing at the B&M that more than made up for it. For some reason I have total confidence at any live low or mid limit game but struggle more with low limit online games. I feel confident I have the ability to beat any of the lower limit online games but I think I really lose focus sometimes online. I think part of it is the fact that you play so many more hands in a given time period online and part of it is just the amount of distractions at home compared to at a cardroom. Definitely something I need to work on. Anyway, I'll probably see you at the tables at least until one of us moves back up. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2004, 12:03 PM

Brick and mortar is slower than online.

Q: Does that give you more time to analyze your odds or study players?

Q: Are we slaves to the 20 second buzzer?

I like playing 2 tables (except when I'm losing), because I think it relieves boredom and helps me maintain stricter starting hand standards, but is there more to it?
Old 05-27-2004, 12:38 PM

For some reason I have total confidence at any live low or mid limit game but struggle more with low limit online games.

I think it's more than likely a simple answer, you are more in tune to the game.

Belive me, going back down to .5/1 is a hard decision to make. i am confident i can beat 2/4, but my game just doesnt feel "right". its like i have the ingrediants, just not the proper practice. i just need more table time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

take it easy on me guys, i will be back tonight [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]