Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2004, 11:29 PM

Default stress getting to Gus Hansen?

from pokerpages.com forum - gotta wonder if this is just 4 days of poker playing taking it's toll - this is a horrible all in on his part - (and I think he raised preflop too)

-------------------

Hansen OUT!
A huge hand at the feature table:
Gus Hansen opened for $9,000, and was called by Matthias Andersson and Frank Braybec. The flop came 10s 5h Ks. Hansen moved all in, Braybec reraised all in, and Andersson called. Braybec showed Kd 10c (top two pair), Hansen showed 8s 5s (bottom pair w/ flush draw), and Andersson showed As Qs (nut/royal flush draw, inside straight draw). The turn came 4h, the river came 3s. Andersson made the nut flush, and won the $560,000 pot. Hansen was eliminated, and Braybec was down to about $70,000.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:33 PM

Default Re: stress getting to Gus Hansen?

He raised preflop to steal and got called in two places, then he flopped a pair and a flush draw giving up to 14 outs.
He had secured 15k and needed to go up over 100 places to get to 30k, although people in the internet forum disagree with me, I think his play was fine.

Edit: On the flop the AQs checked and next player bet 50k, Hansen was semi bluffing with his all in to pick up a tidy pot.

Lori
Old 05-25-2004, 11:35 PM

I think the preflop play is lousy, but if you're goign to play that hand- you've got to move once you get a piece of the flop. I think post flop he played it fine.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He raised preflop to steal and got called in two places, then he flopped a pair and a flush draw giving up to 14 outs.
He had secured 15k and needed to go up over 100 places to get to 30k, although people in the internet forum disagree with me, I think his play was fine.

Edit: On the flop the AQs checked and next player bet 50k, Hansen was semi bluffing with his all in to pick up a tidy pot.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Lori, the only reason I disagreed is you would think a World Class player could pick a better spot to get all his money in. AND he would have been left with 75K in chips, slightly below average at the time and certainly not threatened by the blinds and antes. AND when you are drawing to a flush, a world class player should know better than to commit all his chips wihtout the nut flush draw. You would think when he bet the flop and got called and re-raised that his flush was no goood even if it hit.

That's why I disagreed, not that it's right or wrong, just my thoughts!
Old 05-25-2004, 11:40 PM

I disagree with you guys' critique of Gus's play. I think this move was completely irrational. Gus's preflop steal was understandable (we all try sometimes), but when the flop comes with two relatively big cards (K and 10), chances are that the flop hit someone with either a pair, two pair, or a straight draw. Considering Gus's wild, reckless, and often irrational style, both of the players probably would have called Gus with even top pair. Pushing here is just asking to get slapped on the wrist. I hope this hand teaches Gus that while his aggressive, big-bullying style may work for a while against so-called "professional" players who "make good laydowns" and are more like tight-weak players, and that a real player will see through his mumbo-jumbo crappy style and call him, busting him like the little worm he is. Sorry, this is a bit of a tirade, but I don't like Gus and i'm glad he's gone. That's right Patterson guy. I hope you read this; I don't like Gus.
My two cents, Thanks,
Andrew
Old 05-25-2004, 11:43 PM

I don't think you understand Gus's play on this hand, or Gus's game in general.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the preflop play is lousy, but if you're goign to play that hand- you've got to move once you get a piece of the flop. I think post flop he played it fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, how is the pre-flop play lousy? He was steal-raising and got busted. He should have gotten away from his hand, even though he caught a piece of it on the flop.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:49 PM

My steal standards are higher than 84s. Maybe "lousy" was the wrong way to put it, but is isn't a play that I like. I understand Gus is a great player, but I don't see a need to get cute with the substandard hands that Gus plays.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My steal standards are higher than 84s. Maybe "lousy" was the wrong way to put it, but is isn't a play that I like. I understand Gus is a great player, but I don't see a need to get cute with the substandard hands that Gus plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

A steal is just that, you can steal with anything, even 2,7 off, if you get called, you either shut it down or try to buy it, but you don't push in on two players with bottom pair and a weak flush draw after they have called and re-raised you.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so-called "professional" players who "make good laydowns" and are more like tight-weak players

[/ QUOTE ]

This is funny. You really think pros are tight-weak?