Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2002, 12:38 AM

Default My Seminar Trip Report

It was good meeting all of you I met and seeing those of you I met before. The seminar was nice, but the best part was meeting the people you see posting. I got in thursday and just played a bit at the Orleans for my poker rate. I knew it was going to be a good trip when I won in an Omaha H/L game. There's a new experience. So between the hold'em game and the Omaha I had a decent win in the small games my first day. I had dinner with my parents that night so I didn't mind just playing a little low-limit before and after. The steak house at the Palms, 9, is very good. The steak is not as good as at Delmonicos, but is much better than anything I've had at Morton's. (9 is the brainchild of the son of the guy who started Morton's) The restaurant is "hipper" than you expect and is a different atmosphere than I expected, but I liked it. Many beautiful people go there. It's a long way from Binions.

Friday I went to the seminar and then played at the Mirage. As Clarkmeister posted I won the only hand I played in 6-12 and made quite a splash. (Clarkmeister didn't tell, neither will I) I got a 10-20 seat after a long wait and was assaulted by the deck. I have no idea if the game was good, I just know I won. (It was a decent game) It was better than the stud game Dynasty was in at least. 7CSFAP does not write about the play Dynasty pulled where you steal the antes with your bring in. That's respect.

Saturday I got the idea to go to Binions and check out the 10-20 and look around at the WSOP. But they were starting a 5-5 PLO and HDPM got the less smart idea of trying that game. I mean I bought Ciaffone's book and what's the use if I never step up and play? So I played PLO for the first time. Did I mention I've never played high-only Omaha? Did I mention I never played a single hand of pot-limit either live or tournament before? Well you have to start somewhere. I've wanted to try it for a while. And I have a book on it. Half the players were from England and the rest seemed to be from Texas or Louisiana. They had played the game before. I was not the worst at the table though. Well, for a while I wasn't. That guy got broke after taking some of my money when he was a huge underdog. HDPM was just glad the guy didn't have a bigger stack. I quit after losing a couple hundred and the game got more aggressive. I never really appreciated how the pot grows exponentially until I was faced with getting trapped for my stack. No damage done, but I will wait a while before becoming a big-bet player.

Saturday night I found myself in a Bellagio 15-30. The first hand I played (after posting behind) I got a nice sarcastic "Nice hand, well-played Sir" from the guy who I chopped the pot with. I made like $11 and was assured of action on all my hands. I thought I played it great, but I was embarrassed to show it. So I didn't play another hand for a long time. I called a raise from a loose raiser with JJ. I didn't 3-bet because the pot was going to be big enough and I had the button anyway. I thought my hand was good when rags hit the flop until I got check-raised and there was another caller. Well, I spiked my set on the turn, so I knew I was good then so I better raise. There couldn't be 2 straights out against me with those rags out there. For reasons I will never know, the guys with the straights didn't jam it. That's why I thought my hand was OK. And Vince said overpairs are good things. What did they think I had? They must have known the deck was going to run over me. I sucked out with runner-runner quads of course. One guy stared at my quads when I exposed them for like 2 minutes and wouldn't fold. He just couldn't beleive his 7-6 or whatever was no good. I guess I sympathize, but there was no way I'd fold an overpair for one raise and close the action on the flop. Once I spiked my set, any board pair was an out, so he wasn't as big a favorite as he hoped. But I did suckout with style I must admit. I didn't figure on stealing a lot afterwards though. So the deck ran over me a little and I had a decent little win after a couple of much more routine hands. Then I ended up back at the Orleans with a friend of mine who lives in Las Vegas. We played the Omaha game and I tried to drink as many Becks as I could and screw around. The Becks didn't degrade my O/8 skills much I hate to admit. I was just glad nobody could re-raise the pot after my earlier Omaha debacle. That ended the poker on the trip.

Anyway, I recommend that any of you posters who live outside of Las Vegas try to make a seminar. It's a good time of year to go to Las Vegas and you get to meet the other 2+2ers if you haven't already. Well worth it. Particularly if you are the innocent victim of a runaway deck or two.
Old 04-29-2002, 02:42 AM

Default Re: My Seminar Trip Report

It was better than the stud game Dynasty was in at least. 7CSFAP does not write about the play Dynasty pulled where you steal the antes with your bring in. That's respect.

That stud game was fairly miserable. I ended with a win of $3 after three hours. Apparently my name was called for 10-20 Hold'em but I didn't hear it. As a result, my name got put back on the bottom of a very long waiting list.

As far as bringing it in for the minimum $3 and having everyone fold, that happened twice that night. I had already let two of the players on my right know that they were going to occasionally get reraised and bet into on every street if I had any type of playable hand when I was the bring-in.

I'll go post one of those hands in the stud forum.

Old 04-29-2002, 07:19 AM

uh oh...my new hero is a lawyer...gr8 post hdpm...

i applaud you for trying pot limit...i am toying with big bet...i find pot harder than no- limit...

i'll be there for the week of the big one..i would treat you to a gr8 meal oh hero...

the real reason om/8 is a good game was revealed to me at binion's in tunica last thanksgiving...it's the only poker g you really have a chance to go to the bathroom, and get back without missing a hand,,,real important to the prostate enlarged 50+ set...

lol

gl
Old 04-29-2002, 10:34 PM

"the real reason om/8 is a good game was revealed to me at binion's in tunica last thanksgiving...it's the only poker g you really have a chance to go to the bathroom, and get back without missing a hand,,,real important to the prostate enlarged 50+ set..."

It is also important to the multiple Beck's drinker at 3 A.M. who is there to gamboooool. :-)