Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2004, 02:30 AM

Default Rookie doubles Hellmuth and Chan for WSOP all time money!

The WSOP is now capped at 2400 + 200 alternates. $9400 of each entry goes into the prize pool. 25% goes to first place or over $6 million to the winner. With at least 50% of the field coming from online players, its probable that another online qualifier takes the title and becomes the all time money leader. Amazing!
Old 05-22-2004, 02:40 AM

Default Re: Rookie doubles Hellmuth and Chan for WSOP all time money!

Why are they only putting $9400 into the prize pool? I thought the WSOP had a 10,000 + 0 structure.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:45 AM

i think they take out of the 10k instead of having a 10k+x for dealer wages etc...i think winners have to pay tips out of their winnings...McManus mentioned tipping in Pos 5th St...

Thats a big pile of money to put on the table, they gonna need bigger tables soon to deal with huge prizes....i wouldn't mind seeing Hellmuth/Chan win this year...
Old 05-22-2004, 08:43 AM

I just spoke to a friend he stated that this year only 2% out of that 6% goes to dealers in the main event. Where it is 3% for all other events. BTW, it is staff and dealers. The balance is the "vig" or house "fee" just as any other event.

Also, Mcmanus's book is outdated. Tips can come from anyone, there is no mandatory nor does the "tip money" withheld in that 6% come out of the top 5. it comes from the entire pool.

Shall be interesting to see this year how much actually gets to the dealers. It's been known for a long time, there has been massive stealing from the dealer tokes by mngmnt in past years. There. I said it and let the flames begin!
Old 05-22-2004, 11:48 AM

pretty sure that WSOP has been 10,000 -600 (9,400 +600) for many years now.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:08 PM

with 2400 people at 9,400 each and 25% payout first would take $5,640,000 right? Crazy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2004, 06:05 PM

There are 200 alternates. Basically, they pay the same fee and wait till someone busts out, then take their seat and immediately have to post an amount equal to the blinds they have missed up till that point. Those extra 200 entries bring the first place prize to over 6 million.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are 200 alternates. Basically, they pay the same fee and wait till someone busts out, then take their seat and immediately have to post an amount equal to the blinds they have missed up till that point. Those extra 200 entries bring the first place prize to over 6 million.

[/ QUOTE ]

And why on earth would anyone want to do that?
Old 05-22-2004, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And why on earth would anyone want to do that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people just want to compete. It doesn't matter if they have no money at all when they sit down. Think of all the businessmen who watched the ESPN coverage last year and thought "I could be Chris Moneymaker."
Old 05-22-2004, 11:46 PM

I guess 200 players bust out so quick it and the blinds move up so slow that it really isnt much of a handicap... also, i believe that it is just a blind they post, so theres even a chance that everyone just folds around to it....