Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2004, 06:53 PM

Default 10-20 NL hand

Here's a hand I played at the Bellagio. 10-20 (20 to go). We're playing 6 handed. I'm in the BB (2K).

UTG (straightforward player) limps UTG (900 stack) for 20. The livest spot in the game makes it 80 to go (2500). He's a "thinking" bad player. He will fold, but he's also an action player, and the reason that I'm playing the game.

The SB calls 80 (2000). I have 8d6d and decide to see the flop. UTG calls. Comments on this play?

Flop: Jh Td 7d. SB checks, I check, UTG checks, LP bets 200. Folded back to me. I go all-in for about 1900.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:57 PM

Default Re: 10-20 NL hand

I'll look for you at the Bellagio when I have the BR for that game...

Do you hate money?.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:04 PM

This doesn't seem right. You said "thinking".
If you are called, you are probably beat, unless he will call with a higher lone diamond or a set here.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:14 PM

I'd be reluctant to to call a raise out of position with such a marginal hand, especially with a reasonable player in under the gun. What would the under the gun player limp with there? I know you want to be in pots with the live spot but can't you wait for a slightly better opportunity?

OK, anyway, if you're sure you can double through when you hit, why not play 86s, right? You say the live one will fold but will he fold if he hits? If he has AJ, is he going anywhere? I never know what to say when people post hands like this because I think you really need to be there to properly judge the situation. Unless the flop absolutely clobbered him or he has bigger diamonds, I guess you're in pretty good shape against most of what he could have.

SpaceAce
Old 05-21-2004, 08:03 PM

Two quick scenarios...

Suppose you're up against AK/AQ:
http://twodimes.net/poker/?g=h&b=Jh+...+6d%0D%0AAd+Ks

If he has QQ:
http://twodimes.net/poker/?g=h&b=Jh+...+6d%0D%0AQd+Qs

Even worse, he could have JJ or TT. I know the possibilities go on, but looking at these numbers alone, I don't think this is a situation where I'd want to shoot all my bullets against the live player. Since you couldn't put out a positional raise, I think a smooth call would have been better.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:05 PM

You say the reason you are still in this game is for the liveone then you try to get all your chips in against him when you are on a coin flip? I don't play live, but i'd assume if a liveone loses $2k in one hand he doesn't rebuy? If so it doesn't matter. If he doesn't rebuy you just wasted the whole edge you have in that game.

Hand wise, preflop i hate these hands in this situation, they don't have much implied odds value and you are going to pay the max on each street.

Flop wise. 1. I think it's more profitable to call against a liveone who'll pay off. 2. I think your risk-reward on a $2k (10x) raise is awful against anyone but a manaically loose raiser or a very tight caller. TAPs and LAPs.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You say the reason you are still in this game is for the liveone then you try to get all your chips in against him when you are on a coin flip? I don't play live, but i'd assume if a liveone loses $2k in one hand he doesn't rebuy?

[/ QUOTE ]

for 10/20 blinds, 2k is a short stack. so I'm guessing live one will rebuy.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:39 PM

if you are bankrolled well enough to push small edges (and I assume you are) then this seems fine, although any experienced player will almost certainly put you on a big draw in this spot. people that truly balance their play in this spot are few and far between, so you are not going to get a lot of credit/folding equity here, because this particular move is overused.

--turnipmonster
Old 05-22-2004, 05:39 PM

You think that my 8 hi isn't any good if I'm called? I was reasonably sure of that.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:42 PM

I agree with everything that you say. I actually think that the preflop play is the most debatable, but I felt like playing, and had been playing pretty tight. That's also why I actually felt like I'd have pretty good folding equity on the 500 in the pot. If called, I'm getting 24:19, which seems great to me on a hand that's likely a coinflip.

I could wait for a better spot, but really, I didn't think that he'd be around for very long in the game, so I played it.