Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2004, 04:49 PM

Default Top 10 books

Hi,
I'd like to know your views of the best books out there. From starting to perfecting (not that it's possible but, trying to) basically, what are the essential books and how good are they? Thanks
Old 05-21-2004, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Top 10 books

Well, I can't give you 10, but there are 4 out there that I know of which are almost universally acclaimed.

Theory of Poker, Sklansky
Hold Em for Advanced Players (21stC), Sklansky/Malmuth
Tournament Poker for Advanced Players, Sklansky
Winning Low Limit Hold 'Em, Lee Jones

Some people don't like Jones' book, but it's more beginner-accessible than Sklansky & Malmuth...the perfect 1st read. With a little experience and study, though, you'll graduate to 2+2 to take things to the next level.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:35 PM

Here are my ten, pretty much in order:

Theory Of Poker
HPFAP
Tournament Poker for Advanced Players
Pot-limit/No-limit Hold 'Em (Ciaffone/Reuben)
Winning Low-Limit Hold 'Em (Jones) - great starter book
Poker Essays I,II and II
Championship Satellite Strategy (Mcevoy/Daugherty)
Championship NL/PL Hold 'Em (Mcevoy/Cloutier)
Old 05-21-2004, 07:23 PM

My Top 10 Poker Books:

1. Holdem Poker for Advanced Players, by David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth
I saw how deep the water could get. At the top of my reread list.

2. Theory of Poker, by David Sklansky
Defines the conceptual universe of poker.

3. Winning Low Limit Holdem, by Lee Jones
It got me started playing better.

4. Middle Limit Holdem, by Bob Ciaffone and Jim Brier
For better or worse, it showed me where the monsters might be hiding.

5. Internet Texas Holdem: Winning Strategies from an Internet Pro, by Matthew Hilger
Along similar lines to Middle Limit Holdem-- lots more examples.

6. Inside the Poker Mind, by John Feeney
Many good essays on the psychology of poker.

7. Super System, by Doyle Brunson, et. al.
Doyle's no-limit section makes it worthwhile.

8. Gambling Theory and other Topics, by Mason Malmuth
Particulaly for understanding variance and bankroll requirements.

9. Tournament Poker for Advanced Players, by David Sklansky
How tournament poker differs from ring game play.

10. Improve your Poker, by Bob Ciaffone
Outstanding essays, especially the one on bluffing.

Honorable Mention: The Evolution of a Poker Player, by Steven James
A strange, incomplete, flawed little book, but the appendix got me started thinking more clearly about the value of starting hands.

Honorable Mention: (not a book): Twoplustwo.com
Gave me some confidence that most of the time, I do know what I'm doing. Also helped me get out of the weak-tight mode (on-going).

Maybe half of these are "essential," but all are worthwhile. FYI, I mostly play limit Holdem and I'm not an expert-- just a purely recreational, marginally winning, low limit player.

Lastly, I would be very disappointed if Ed Miller's upcoming book did not end up on this list.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:11 PM

These are my 10 favorite books. Note that this varies depending on my mood and how much reading I have time for:
10. Homage to Catalonia - George Orwell
excellent true account of the Spanish Civil War

9. The Game of Their Lives - can't remember the author
recounts the greatest upset in the history of sports. No no the miracle on ice but the US national teams defeat of the mighty English in the 1950 World Cup

8. Death in the Afternoon - Ernest Hemingway
all Hemingway books are good, especially those about bullfighting

7. Hand of God - Jimmy Burns
biography of the most interesting sports figure and the greatest footballer ever Diego Armando Maradona (who played for my Sevilla btw)

6. For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway
Hemingway's greatest novel. Covers the Spanish Civil War from a fictional perspective. Fantastic reading. I highly reccomend buying this book with the money that S&M make you as per their suggestion in HPFAP

5. Fever Pitch - Nick Hornby
follows an Arsenal fans journey from the days when Arsenal were mediocre (obviously now that they have Reyes they are the best team in England)

4. Positively 5th Street - James McManus
follows authors journey to the final table of the WSOP main event as well as the Ted Binion murder trial and other goings on at the shoe and in vegas in general - great reading

3. It's Not About the Bike - Lance Armstrong
follows the cancer survivors journey from deaths door to the top of the podium at the tour de france

2. The Theory of Games and Economic Behaviour - John von Neumann and Oscar Morgenstern
this book basically started game theory as a field. Much of it is outdated but it is still a must have on the shelf if not a must read.

1. Principles of Mathematical Analysis - Walter Rudin
Certainly the best analysis book ever written. Possibly the best math book overall.

Oh you probably wanted poker books. I would say if you're just starting out you should get these books in this order:
WLLHE(winning low limit hold'em) by Lee Jones
good introduction to the game, his advice will probably have you playing break even poker

Psychology of Poker - Alan Schoonmaker
good introduction to the mental side of the game. Walks you through your motives for playing and how they affect your play which every (new) player should understand

Hold'em Poker - David Sklansky
This book is both introductory and advanced at the same time. He has excellent advice on starting hands and the discussion of flops you like and flops you don't is worthwhile if you're learning. There are a few advanced concepts and the some concepts are outdated because of the different blind structure when it was written (yes I have the "updated version" which is pretty much just footnotes telling me what part of the text is outdated) but it is also quite useful for the beginner.

By the time you get through those you are ready to graduate to the big three advanced books:

Something about using winning strategy at lower limits (I'm sure the real title will be posted if it hasn't been already) - Ed Miller, David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth

This book is as yet unpublished. Apparently Ed, a frequent poster here, is nearly finished with the writing end. This book will describe how to win as much as possible in games where people limp too much and take hands too far. If Ed's posts here are any indication this book will be the low limit book.

Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players - David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth

This book is advanced and tends to cover bigger games with better opponents than the other books mentioned. While some concepts and strategies aren't applicable to lower limits with bad players many are and this book is beneficial even at the lower limits full of fish.

Theory of Poker - David Sklansky

Similar to HPFAP, this book is fairly advanced. The book is designed to go into the theory behind certain plays in poker. It is quite good. I would reccomend you get this now if you find math and or game theory interesting because you will be find it enjoyable even if you aren't sophisticated enough to apply the concepts yet.

wow that post got way too long. Sorry.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:05 PM

Top 10 books:

1. Holdem Poker for Advanced Players
2. Theory of Poker
3. Hold'em Poker by David Sklansky
4. Poker Essays II
5. Inside the Poker Mind
6. Poker Essays III
7. Middle Limit Holdem by Bob Ciaffone
8. No Limit and Pot Limit by Bob Ciaffone
9. Poker, Gaming, and Life
10. Real Play by Roy Cooke
Old 05-22-2004, 11:07 PM

Top 5 Garbage books:

1. holdem excellence by lou kreiger
2. more holdem excellence by lou kreiger
3. poker tournament strategies by sylvester suzuki
4. championship limit holdem by cloutier/mcevoy
5. winning holdem by ken warren
Old 05-22-2004, 11:40 PM

One book which I belive is great for starting out players that no one ever seems to reccomend is "Fundamental Secrets to Winning Poker" by Mike Caro. In Gambling Theory, I believe Mason gives this book a 9.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:10 AM

My top ten, in no particular order:

Theory of Poker by Sklansky and Malmuth

Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players by Sklansky and Malmuth

Improve Your Poker by Bob Ciaffone

Middle Limit Holdem by Bob Ciaffone and Jim Brier

Real Poker II The Play of Hands by Roy Cooke

Internet Texas Hold'em by Matthew Hilger (this should replace WLLH by Jones as *the* starter book)

Inside the Poker Mind by John Feeney (If you're a beginner I might replace this with "The Psychology of Poker" by Alan Schoonmaker)

Poker Essays II By Mason Malmuth

Poker Essays III by Mason Malmuth

Super System by Doyle Brunson

Super System is mostly outdated, but covers so many games it still belongs in your library. There's a lot in there that is applicable across games as well in terms of general concepts. The only sections that are probably still applicable are the Stud and NL sections. If you play in a home game where draw is still played, or Hi/Lo with a declare, then those sections will be useful as well.

If you're interested in Big Bet poker then the NL section in Super System becomes a must read. Also "Pot-Limit & No-Limit Poker" by Stewart Reuben and Bob Ciaffone.

I Suspect that Ed Millers new book will soon get added to that list. Also Bob Ciaffone is coming out with a new No Limit book, probably in the fall, that I suspect will become must reading for that game. The excerpts I've seen so far are really good.

The above is, obviously, Hold'em centric but with some non-holdem information available as well.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:11 AM

It's a good book and would probably have been next on my list. Definitely top 15.