Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2004, 02:00 PM

Default 10 8 offsuit in late position

I've seen a lot of discussion on suited cards recently but not much on connectors... specifically unsuited connectors... and away we go...

Party .50/1

Preflop: Hero is LP1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] , T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 raises, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Hero calls, Button Calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG Calls. (8 BB)

Is this call too loose? Not to much raising on the table so I really didn’t fear a 3 bet or a cap. If I miss the flop I’m done.

Flop: (5 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] , K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 players)
UTG checks, UTG+1 bets, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 Calls, Hero raises, Button folds, BB Folds, UTG Calls, UTG+1 3-bets, MP1 Folds, MP3 Calls, Hero calls, UTG Calls (15 BB)

Not the perfect flop, but it can’t get much better. Still a draw and I didn’t want to cap. Should I have?

Turn: (3.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
UTG checks, UTG+1 bets, MP3 Calls, Hero raises, UTG folds, UTG + 1 calls, MP3 Calls

Wanted to get some money in here now… It was a CHARGE situation in my opinion.

River: (9.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
UTG+1 Bets, MP3 folds, Hero Calls.

I figured he was raising a winner and folding a loser here so I just called.

Final Pot: BB 23

He flips up the 2 red kings but I think I had the best of it after that flop.

I’ve been thinking a lot about non suited gapped connectors recently and what kind of odds I need to play them. Is playing t8o a +ev in this situation?

If not what about 9to?

If so what about 97o, 86o, etc?

The way I see it is I would probably throw a bet in here w/ KXs to see a flop w/ these odds, so why not a single gap connector. What do you guys think? Too loose?

Thanks,

deke
Old 05-21-2004, 02:02 PM

Default Re: 10 8 offsuit in late position

Fold this preflop 100% of the time. Maybe if it's suited, and you have enough limpers, it's worth a call, but not unsuited, and not for 2 bets.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:03 PM

I muck this pre-flop 100% of the time outside of the blinds. Assuming that you had a gun to your head and played it, I like your play in the hand. I'm not sure why you're rationalizing betting your straight.

Edit- Oh Jesus- this was raised pre-flop? Somebody DID have a gun to your head, right?
Old 05-21-2004, 02:07 PM

Default Re: 10 8 offsuit---I love this hand

I love this hand in late position!

I get to check the fold box, get up, go take a leak, then grab a beer (different rooms) and get back before the next hand is dealt [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-21-2004, 02:10 PM

I don't want to pick on you buddy, but if you call two bets cold with this crap routinely then you are part of the reason that the games are so good at Party.

Fold this for one bet and definately to any raise. Also for the record this is not a connector, it's a one gapper.

You've come to the right place to learn, keep it up.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is playing t8o a +ev in this situation?

If not what about 9to?

If so what about 97o, 86o, etc?

The way I see it is I would probably throw a bet in here w/ KXs to see a flop w/ these odds, so why not a single gap connector. What do you guys think? Too loose?

Thanks,

deke

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay a few things. All hands you just note (KXs (when you say X I'm assuming 9 and below), T8o, 97o, and 86o I wouldn't ever call preflop from anywhere regardless of situations, perhaps the KXs if I wanted to be gutsy and had lots of limpers and I was on the button. T9o I would maybe call on the button with lots of limpers. These hands need miracle flops and you got to be able to fold top pair post flop if you want to keep a + money play.

You talk about throwing in a bet but here in this play you called a raise cold with these hands that I think most players would throw away even to a call preflop of one bet. These off suit cards are pretty crappy. I think this is a major leak in your game that needs to be plugged. Welcome to the forums.