Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2004, 10:17 PM

Default Bah...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (10 handed)

CO ($56.45)
Hero ($83.95)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls $1, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($3) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to $8</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to $55.45 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Should I have raised PF? I thought about it but didn't because I hate playing hands like KJo out of position when I hit something like...oh...a jack.

So do we hate the limp or the minraise more?

-Ben
Old 05-19-2004, 11:50 PM

Default Re: Bah...

Don't raise preflop with KJo out of position. It's not a very good hand.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't raise preflop with KJo out of position. It's not a very good hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

its a perfect place to steal, id raise almost everytime here. your bluffing most flops here anyways if you dont raise, might as well raise preflop instead
Old 05-20-2004, 12:11 AM

What exactly do you raise here with KJo in the sb? 8? 10? If you raise to 6 then they will probably call, and if you raise more then you are putting too much money into a small pot out of position that you'll probably end up losing money in the long run. What's wrong with just limping, and then if a K or J or QTx flops then you bet out. People aren't going to make plays at a blind unless they have something, and if they do, then you can play it the way he did, and safely exit the pot.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What exactly do you raise here with KJo in the sb? 8? 10?

[/ QUOTE ]

no just your normal 4xBB raise or whatever

[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with just limping, and then if a K or J or QTx flops then you bet out.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you always do this you lose money on the hand. you cant always bet with made hands when it gets this shorthanded. if you do, your leaving potential money out there. it would be different if there were 5 limpers behind you.

try it a couple times and see how many people actually call your raise, and if they do, bet out again and see how many of those call your bet. in the long run its worth it if the table is weak enough (likely here) and you only have 1 or 2 possible in the pot
Old 05-20-2004, 12:32 AM

This is party NLHE 10 max, its not short handed.

You won't lose money if you only play flops that hit from the sb since it only costs you 1/2 bb to call; even with 1 limper, you are getting 5:1 on your money. If we accept what you say, you mine as well raise QJ, and JT from the sb since you are banking on the hope that they will fold anyway. A lot of the time too, if you limp/bet they will put you on TP or 2 low pair, but if you raise, they put you on high cards on the rag flop. Also, a lot of weak party players limp call with any pair up to tens, and AT, AJ, KQ, AQ, etc, any position, and you dont want these hands calling you down. You need to know whether or not the guy is a calling station before you make a play like this at a miniscule pot.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:35 AM

Yeah I gotta agree with Prevaricator on this.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:48 AM

in this case theres 1 limper behind in the CO and all folded to you. thats what i mean by shorthanded. its not the right term though.

you dont ever raise from the Button or SB when all folded to you with 2 marginal cards?

theres a huge huge amount to be won on taking advantage of the weakness of these types of tables, if you only play strong hands in this type of perfect stealing position i think you losing profit
Old 05-20-2004, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You won't lose money if you only play flops that hit from the sb since it only costs you 1/2 bb to call; even with 1 limper, you are getting 5:1 on your money. If we accept what you say, you mine as well raise QJ, and JT from the sb since you are banking on the hope that they will fold anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

it all depends on how many people there are still in the pot. of course i would never raise kj or j10 from the sb with 2 or 3 limpers. but against 1 or 2 possible opponents your just losing profit if you only bet made hands. bottom line. and kj is a great and to be pulling this type of move with. i would do it with much less too against most/some nl50 type players.

[ QUOTE ]

A lot of the time too, if you limp/bet they will put you on TP or 2 low pair, but if you raise, they put you on high cards on the rag flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

people dont always / shouldnt put a preflop raiser on only high cards when a rag flop comes. if they do, they better be ready to call down the river, because theres at least a 50% chance hes holding pockets. most arnt willing to take that risk, hence the profits to be made by auto betting a decent percent of flops you preflop raise.

if a high flop comes out, its even better if you raised preflop. say a high flop comes out and you missed it. you can bluff pretty effectivly because he knows you haev either very high broadway cards or a high pocket, so theres very little hadns he could possibly hold that he can play you with. you win say 80% of these and get played at and lose 20%. (made up figure, but not far off)

last, technically theres not many hands the CO limper should be calling your raise with here. the obvious exceptions are mid pockets. thats even better for you, bc he misses 7/8 of the time, so you take down the pot post flop 7/8 of the time. theres also not a high chance the BB will have a hand he can play with you either.

Overall its a small pot, but if raising in these types of situations is +EV, which clearly it is sometimes is, it doesnt matter how small the pot is. theres alot of other arguemens that can be made about why to raise and not always play made hands in steal positions, but im sure most have stopped reading by now.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:09 AM

oh sorry one last thing
[ QUOTE ]

You won't lose money if you only play flops that hit from the sb since it only costs you 1/2 bb to call; even with 1 limper, you are getting 5:1 on your money.

[/ QUOTE ]

while that is true, its not the point here. you arnt playing not to lose money, your playing to win the maximum. if it was in respose to my statement, then i meant you will lose money if you limp in from the button or whatever with all folded to you and only bet when you hit your hand. that is -EV