Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2004, 01:47 PM

Default Raise the river?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Guido is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Guido raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Guido caps</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Guido bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Guido raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls.

River: (13.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Guido calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB
Old 05-18-2004, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Raise the river?

No reads? The turn bet is suspicious in and of itself. You capped BB's 3-bet preflop and then he folded for one bet on the flop, meaning that SB can no longer ride along in any kind of betting war between you two. The turn bet looks like he wants to be raised by a high pocket pair. When he bets into you on the river after you raise the turn, I think he's saying he beats AA. I would follow SB's line with something like 88 or 76s. I wouldn't be too happy about the pf action, but this is how I would play after that, hoping for a river raise I could three bet my 88 with.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:35 PM

I don't see a raise being a great call here. Not knowing SB's raising standards makes it tough to really know if you're in trouble. It could be as tame as an AK making a play on you or as ugly as a flopped set or 88 (as suggested by the previous response) even 33. Even 2 pair beats you but it's hard to imagine a pf 3-bet that makes 2 pair here. The rivered K makes his KK the winner which, could easily have been played the same way.

Call and hope for AK. IT's really helpful if we know his raising standards, but in this case, I don't think it changes your river decision - AK or KK are easily possible and one you like the other you suddenly don't.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:27 AM

I think he would check-raise the turn with 88 or 67. I thought it was a bluff on the scary board but when he bets the river again I call down.

Guido