Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2004, 03:55 PM

Default how would you play this better?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Noodles is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Noodles raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Noodles calls.
Had seen this guy 3 bet pf a few hands ago and had AA

Flop: (7.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Noodles checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Noodles raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, Noodles calls.
Anyone cap the flop here?

Turn: (6.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Noodles checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Noodles calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Noodles checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Noodles calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 10.75 BB, between Noodles and UTG+2.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Noodles (10.75 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Noodles shows Qs Qh (one pair, queens).
UTG+2 shows Ks Ac (high card, ace).
Outcome: Noodles wins 10.75 BB. </font>
Old 05-17-2004, 04:04 PM

Default Re: how would you play this better?

Hey noodles -

Personally I cap pre-flop here heads-up. (could be a bad thing I guess).

I cap the flop as well here and lead the turn. If still finding resistance I'll call down.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:13 PM

yea my play looks weak here,all that can beat me is JJ,KK or AA.so i was fearing monsters i think
Old 05-17-2004, 05:53 PM

Outside of capping PF I think you played it about par for the course.

Him coming at you after a CR on the flop, would generally indicate some pretty big guns heads up - generally that would mean he's certainly not afraid of top pair.

Looking at that fact he can beat a pair of Jacks or better....since you have two of the queens, that would make me a little concerned.

I admire his tenancity though [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2004, 06:12 PM

i think you played it very well. if you cap preflop, he probably will check through the flop. you got an extra bet when you called his reraise and check/raised him. good job.

cheers!

my line: preflop cap, lead out all subsequent streets. just call down if raised anywhere.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:30 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

I think you played it fine.

Once he 3 bets your c/r on the flop, and its HU, to the showdown we go. Not exactly enjoying the trip, but ya may be suprised and drag the pot.

b
Old 05-17-2004, 06:35 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Think of the ratio of him holding TT/JJ/QQ/KK/AA to having AK. It's pretty close to even. Many wont 3 bet AQ here on the flop, so throw that out. But maybe, just maybe AJs? Which may tip it to a cap on the flop.

I think his reaction to your flop c/r makes up for you not capping preflop.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:39 PM

You're a little wishy washy on this one. You don't cap preflop because you fear KK/AA. Now when the flop comes down J high you CR him??? If you were behind preflop, you're behind on the flop, nothing has changed. Now if your reasoning had been...I only called the 3 bet preflop so I can CR him on a non Ace flop then I would like the way you played this hand.

I would have capped preflop, bet the flop and if he raised me, I would think about folding, then I would pinch my leg and call down hoping to see exactly AK or AJs. Of course the easiest way to play this hand is to flop set...I can't believe you didn't see that!!
Old 05-17-2004, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Had seen this guy 3 bet pf a few hands ago and had AA

[/ QUOTE ]

You gave him credit for AA when he 3-bet, so why did you checkraise him on the flop then call a 3-bet? Did you think he had an equal chance at having AK and were waiting to see if one flopped?
Old 05-17-2004, 07:11 PM

I think the only questionable thing here is if the 3 bet after the flop was the right move. Personally, out of position, I just call the 3 bet preflop and then bet into him on the flop. The early 3 bet by a player you saw 3 bet preflop with Aces not too long ago would lead me to believe (unless proven otherwise by future hands) that he bets strong hands. A-K is just about the only hand you can hope he has that you can beat after the flop. I don't think he's going anywhere here HU so the check and call on turn and river are fine in case he is bluffing and would fold to any bet*.

* You only hope he doesn't spike the A or K.