Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: You're on the button in a multi-way pot. Which hand do you prefer?
JJ 11 25.00%
AKs 26 59.09%
I'd fold either JJ or AKs 7 15.91%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-13-2004, 11:48 AM

Default I have 99 board shows TT

B&M $3/$6

No real "reads" on anyone - other than if you raise PF it seems to put the table on subtle Tilt-mania and the pot could come back capped. The table is usually passive if you don't "provoke" it PF. After the flop, players are a bit more cautious.

I'm dealt 99 UTG+1

UTG Limps, I limp, well a bunch more people limp as well.

Flop comes T T 5

SB Checks, BB Checks, UTG Bets, I raise - all fold back to UTG who just calls.

Turn comes a Q

UTG Checks, I bet, he calls

River comes a rag

UTG Checks, I check behind

-----------------------

Results aside - whats the best play on the flop?
Old 05-13-2004, 12:34 PM

Default Re: I have 99 board shows TT

OH - one other question....

(but i think i know the answer?)

PF Raise - In order?
Old 05-13-2004, 12:36 PM

Hey Sarge

[ QUOTE ]
PF Raise - In order?

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably wouldn't. BM 3/6 game...your likely to have 6 cold callers! I like the limp.

--Rico
Old 05-13-2004, 12:58 PM

You are out of position AND sandwhiched against a field and anybody could have a T. There is no dead-raise money in the pot. Txx flop would be a routine fold. A pair of Ts is a WHOLE lot better since [1] there are only 2 Ts left not 3 [2] One x rather than 2 means you are less likely to be beaton by a non-T hand [3] you are less likely to lose to a flush or straight [4] if you DO snag your 9 you are more likely to win.

Even with a pair of Ts there is no shame in folding. Raising is marginally profitable so long as [1] if you call you won't know what to do if it IS raised behind you; or even called in a few spots, and [2] the raise WILL clear up this confusion (you can fold later confidently if someone calls cold or 3-bets).

So you figure that if you raise you can got off it easily later? That's not enough. If you can get off it easily even if you call then raising loses a lot of its merit.

- Louie
Old 05-13-2004, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So you figure that if you raise you can got off it easily later? That's not enough. If you can get off it easily even if you call then raising loses a lot of its merit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alot of the reason I raised was that in order for me to win this pot I figure I need a heads up situation - I can't let an overcard catch.

The table was pretty passive, so if I just call, I reckon at least half the people still will call.

Also, I think if a person in front of me had a ten, they would go for the slowplay - not bet the flop, so I don't really believe UTG - I was going to be more worried if the blinds came along.

The end result was that UTG flipped up QJ and took down the pot. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2004, 01:18 PM

Hey Louie:

[ QUOTE ]
If you can get off it easily even if you call then raising loses a lot of its merit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really do not see how calling is an option here. If there is a chance that our hero has the best hand, he surely wants to raise, not only to better define his opponents hands, but more importantly to protect his vulnerable one. We really do not want KJ or AJ or KQ to peel one off on the flop.

Am I missing something?

--Rico
Old 05-13-2004, 01:31 PM

I know you didn't ask, but the river check is pretty bad. He's going to have a 5 or a pocket pair smaller than 9's the majority of the time here.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know you didn't ask, but the river check is pretty bad. He's going to have a 5 or a pocket pair smaller than 9's the majority of the time here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I aggree or not.

Something about "Betting on the end, if I want to be called" - I don't want to be called.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2004, 02:13 PM

Your flop raise is opponent dependant.

But, you have to value bet the river. A hand like A5, or 66 will bet this flop and call down often enough that the river is a sure bet.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 05-13-2004, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Something about "Betting on the end, if I want to be called" - I don't want to be called.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do want to be called as the only thing beating you is a peeled off Q or an extremely slowplayed 10. Like JTG said, the majority of the time there will be a weaker hand that calls. Throw in that value bet.

Haupt_234