Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2004, 07:09 AM

Default KQs

This was painful...

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Just calling OK? I figure I want the multi-way action with this hand.

Flop: (8.33 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (12.16 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

From 9 to 15 outs worth a semi-bluff raise? I assume it would have 0% chance of folding everyone out of this massive pot.

River: (16.16 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO folds, Hero folds.

If CO was on the same flush draw as me with the ace, that would have been even more painful had I hit. Seems unlikely however, as the K, Q, and J are all accounted for and he raised pre-flop.

Final Pot: 18.16 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 18.16 BB, between BB and UTG+1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by BB (18.16 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows Th Ts (three of a kind, tens).
UTG+1 shows Qs Js (one pair, jacks).
Outcome: BB wins 18.16 BB.

BB must be mildly retarded capping his 2-outter with an overcard on the board. Add to buddy list?</font>
Old 05-13-2004, 07:34 AM

Default Re: KQs

I fold preflop. The rest was fine and make a note about the BB he's a moron.

Guido
Old 05-13-2004, 09:59 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

I wouldve folded this preflop in this spot.

b
Old 05-13-2004, 11:07 AM

Please explain. It looks like an easy call preflop to me. There's a world of hands the CO could be raising with.

- Jim
Old 05-13-2004, 11:26 AM

I would never fold preflop in this spot. 3-betting is a distinct option. On the turn you can raise 3 players with 15 outs for value.

Lost Wges
Old 05-13-2004, 11:29 AM

I would 3-bet the flop as you have position and need less opponents with your hand. Try for the isolation raise.

Haupt_234
Old 05-13-2004, 12:11 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] With only 1 limper it's raise or fold to me. With no reads I fold. There aren't many hands that are worth a cold call. You want at least two or three limpers before the CO to make a cold call right IMO.

Guido
Old 05-13-2004, 01:16 PM

3-betting is good too, mainly because you don't care if the early limper comes along or not. To me, the CO could be raising with 55-AA and many paint card combos in between as well as Aces as low as A8s. I want to play my KQs against those hands.

Sure, the player is unknown, but I don't avoid playing in these situations because of that. On average, unknown players will be raising hands in the CO with one limper with a set of hands not much smaller than the one I stated above.

- Jim
Old 05-13-2004, 01:59 PM

I don't think that's true. An unknown doesn't raise 55-99 and doesn't raise A8s-ATs, I've almost never seen players raise in CO with QJo, KJo, QTo, KTo. We do but not an unknown. So I have to disagree with you.

Guido
Old 05-13-2004, 05:23 PM

He's in the cutoff! It's a group 2 hand! Folding has got to be a distant third choice.

I'm still not sure about raising though. If CO really is raising a hand that dominates me like AQo, I really do want a big field for the flush/straight.

I didn't realize raising the turn would be for value until thinking about it some more this morning. I had perfect position for it too - all opponents had already put one in, so they clearly would have put in a second. Dang.