Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2004, 07:41 PM

Default Folding a four flus on the turn with K9s, my first session at 5/10

UTG and UTG + 1 are too loose and play any two paint cards from any position. The button is loose and likes to raise on the turn with top pair or anything HU. Blinds are loose. I've no further reads on them because I am only about half an hour at the table.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Guido is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Guido calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (5.40 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Guido checks, Button checks.

Turn: (2.70 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, Guido folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: 3.70 BB

Good fold or not?

Thanks,

Guido
Old 05-12-2004, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Folding a four flus on the turn with K9s, my first session at 5/10

It's a terrible fold. You'll probably win if a King or 9 comes on the river. Hell, King-high might be the best hand.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:21 PM

The fold is wrong. You could very possibly have as many as 15 outs and are getting at least 4.7:1 if you consider implied odds.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:39 PM

It's a good play if you like folding 15 outers.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:15 PM

I think it was a solid lay down and I don't see 15 outs. I see 7 outs and one very dangerous and expensive card. You have 13 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]'s minus the the four exposed ones, minus the 8 which could give BB a full, and minus some other [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] which could give him a hidden full and cost you a lot.

BB hasn't had to put any extra $ besides his blind in yet and so you have no information on his hand and he could very easily have a 5 in the hole. The pot isn't big either so I wouldn't risk the extra $.

-Little Fishy
Old 05-12-2004, 10:26 PM

I think it was a solid lay down and I don't see 15 outs.

What hand do you put your opponent on? Why must your opponent have exactly a 5?
Old 05-12-2004, 10:40 PM

My point is your opponent was on BB and hasn't thrown an extra penny in the pot. He could have nothing, a 67 for the strait draw, or some combo with a 5 giving him trips and a possibility to hit a full, even when you do improve. I think It's dangerous playing a against a hand that could be be anything, everything or nothing. If Hero deosn't raise the turn to see where BB is, than I think his only real option is to fold rather than risk getting bum rushed on the end by some cruddy preflop hand that hit big.

-Little Fishy
Old 05-12-2004, 10:57 PM

No one has mentioned your biggest mistake, which is not betting the flop. I'd also raise preflop against poor playing limpers.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My point is your opponent was on BB and hasn't thrown an extra penny in the pot. He could have nothing, a 67 for the strait draw, or some combo with a 5 giving him trips and a possibility to hit a full, even when you do improve. I think It's dangerous playing a against a hand that could be be anything, everything or nothing. If Hero deosn't raise the turn to see where BB is, than I think his only real option is to fold rather than risk getting bum rushed on the end by some cruddy preflop hand that hit big.

-Little Fishy

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if BB has trips, his call would be correct with an 8-outer. He will almost certinaly be able to get 2 big bets out of his opponent on the river, which gives him effective odds of 5.7-to-1; hell, he might be able to get in four bets with a runner-runner draw. The fact that he has two overcard outs is just a bonus.

If Hero deosn't raise the turn to see where BB is

Raising the turn is probably a bad idea since he'd have to call a 3-bet.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:09 AM

is it just me or do a lot of people act like a puss when they have flush draw and there is a pair on the board...just noticed a lot of posts about people folding first or second nut flush draws with at least one overcard and a pair on the board.

Does this have to do with the weak mind state of computing the absolute nuts and putting your opponent(s) on that hand or some other close monster?

bonanz