Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2004, 04:48 PM

Default PETA and Butterflies

On the way to lunch today, I heard on the radio that some celebratory group wanted to release a thousand butterflies as part of their celebration. PETA objected on the grounds of cruelty and now the group is going to use butterfly-like balloons instead of real butterflies. I assume it's not the release that they saw as cruel, but rather the pre-release incarceration.

I have some respect for butterflies. They're pretty to look at [there's a wonderful butterfly room at the Museum of Natural History in New York], they must have had a tough life, what with the caterpillar stage, followed by what must have been the clautrophibic cocoon, and then the wispiness of their existence, at the whim of birds, winds and butterfly nets.

But what about, say, ants? I just crushed one. I more than crushed it, I disintegrated it, rubbing it between my fingers until it disappeared from view. Ants seem much more intelligent than butterflies. True, they appear to be communists [the one I just obliterated was quoting Engels to the end], but they are very industrious, always work, work, work, no flitting about aimlessly like a butterfly, and I often see one carrying an injured comrade, under great personal duress, something I don't see other creatures defended by PETA, such as butteflies or chickens, doing. I dare say I've killed tens or thousands, maybe millions of ants, in my lifetime (either directly or via Terminix). Cruel, ghastly deaths.

So should we have concern for butterflies?

Or ants?

Or chickens?
Old 05-07-2004, 05:20 PM

Default Re: PETA and Butterflies

I'm sure if they could get donations and/or publicity by defending ants, they would be all over it.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:29 PM

My wife is a personal chef. One of her sections in culinary school was butchering. Basically taking a complete piece of meat and cutting it into servings (i.e. a cow into a filet, prime rib, tenderloin, etc.).

Some of the students, who had no issues doing it for the cow, chicken or pig, had a huge issue doing it for rabbits or lambs. I think it reminded them of their dogs.

Anyway, I guess my point is people judge life on different levels and based upon their beauty, work ethic, social contributions, etc. determines our willingness to kill them.

Personality goes a long way too. The more personality an organism exhibits, the less willing we are to kill it.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:41 PM

So does your wife get offended when I say that I butchered a hand?
Old 05-07-2004, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some of the students, who had no issues doing it for the cow, chicken or pig, had a huge issue doing it for rabbits or lambs. I think it reminded them of their dogs.

[/ QUOTE ]
A well prepared dog is a very good dish. People in America and other Western cultures don't know what they are missing.

Old 05-07-2004, 05:49 PM

I'm not a butcher, but I am offended by that term. It infers that there is no skill necessary in the art of butchery and that butchers are all hacks.

BTW, when did 'Raise and breed for purposes of harvesting' become unethical? PETA used to be against scientist torturing animals unnecessarily. Now they are about putting animal lives above human....
Old 05-07-2004, 05:58 PM

Am I unconsciously siding with PETA when I say that I got slaughtered playing poker last night?

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm.....
Old 05-07-2004, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So does your wife get offended when I say that I butchered a hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. She is offended by the way you played the hand when you butchered them.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:25 PM

funny post Andy
Old 05-07-2004, 06:39 PM

Please provide me with a more flattering term that I can use when visiting my local butcher. Anything that gets me better steaks would be appreciated.