Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2004, 09:34 AM

Default Hand analysis please

I just started playing low stakes limit hold em ring games. I’ve been playing NL MTT and SNG’s w/ some success, but I’m thinking some diversification will help me in the long run. Anyhow I ran into two hands last night that have me in a quandary. The table was loose passive .50/1.00 on Stars.

First hand:
Pre flop I’m in the BB w/ 6c9h. Folded to CO who limps. Folded to me and I check. The flop comes 9s 5h 2d. I bet on my top pair, CO calls. Next card was 6s. On two pair I bet again, CO calls. Last card was the Qs. With the flush now on board I check, CO bets I call in case she was playing A Q. She flips over Js 10s.

Pretty sure my betting was correct. I couldn’t have gotten more money in the pot as she would have just checked the flop and river as well. What about my check / call on the river?

Second hand:
Pre flop I’m on the button with JJ. Early position limps all fold around to me. SB and BB have been tight passive. I don’t think I can get a lot of bets out of them if they do limp so I raise. They fold, EP limper calls.

Flop comes 10 6 5 rainbow. EP limper checks. I bet, he calls. Turn is a Q. Another check. A bit of scare card, but I’ve been aggressive so far and with his check I didn’t put him on the Q. I bet knowing if he raises I fold. He calls. River is a 4. He bets. I get the big Homer “DOH” expression on my face. I think bluff on AK, maybe a slow play of AQ. How could that 4 of helped him? For $1.00 I have to know the answer to this question… maybe that is a leak in my game.

He flips over 44. He called the whole way to the river w/ 44 with 4 overcards on the board [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]? I had to laugh. He’ll pay me eventually.

Is this standard play? Should I have called either bets on the river? I know these are the players that make the game good that I will make money off of in the long run, it was just a very frustrating night last night. Things like this kept happening all night long [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].

Thanks,
deke
Old 05-06-2004, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Hand analysis please

1. Your check call on the river was a little weak, but it probably saved you a bet. You can't assume that every 3 flush or 3 straight is a made hand. (Your oponent played this hand very poorly IMO.) I don't know why you would put her on exactly AQ, but you were correct to call.

2. Nothing surprises me any more, especially at low limit. People with any pair will often hang around, just in case they win. I'd guess he "put you" on a AK and was gonna see you down. He just got lucky and you're righ, he'll return the money with interest.

(You'll probably get more response to .50/1 posts in the micro limit forum)

Old 05-06-2004, 10:43 AM

First hand:
I would have bet out on the river. You simply cannot put your opponent on a runner-runner draw with any degree of certainity. If I consider betting the correct play, I definately advocate calling here.

Hand 2:
I would be a very wealthy man if players would always chase 2 outers against me to the river. Call here as well
Old 05-06-2004, 10:52 AM

In hand 2, what would you have done differently if your opponent raised you on the turn?
Old 05-06-2004, 11:16 AM

On a generally loose passive table like this one was, I would have to seriously consider folding to a check / raise. There are a bunch of hands that have me beat now.