Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2004, 08:50 AM

Default Turbo vs standard SnG\'s

What's the difference? Less players? Higher blinds? The sites I play dont have turbos, or at least they dont call em 'turbos'.. Just wondering if they're worth my while..
Old 05-06-2004, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Turbo vs standard SnG\'s

"Turbo" is the name Poker stars give to their high-speed SNGs. Basically it's the same like their regular Stars' SGNs (9 players, 1500T stacks, same blinds for each level), only that the blinds go up every 5 minutes instead of 10, and the vig is a bit smaller (15+1, 25+2, 55+5).

Some people like them, some hate them. I find them very good, fast and enjoyable, and I'm doing very nice money. Others see them as a worse version of Party's SNGs. I can understand why. Anyway, they are played pretty differently from Stars' regular SNGs, due to the fast pace.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:12 AM

Before you batter me, this isn't meant as a dig. I am one of the peole who don't like them, I think they benefit only the house and the poorer players.

Regards ML
Old 05-06-2004, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Before you batter me, this isn't meant as a dig. I am one of the peole who don't like them, I think they benefit only the house and the poorer players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? I understand if you don't like them because they don't fit your style. Everybody has his/her own style, although I try to maintain different styles for different games.

BUT, you must be joking if you think they benefit poor players. I'm having an ROI of 33% after playing about 150 of them, in the 15+1 and 25+2 levels (some on two tables on the same time), and I'm confident there's much room to improve. Regarding the house - I don't quite understand what you mean (every kind of poker benefits the house, limit, NL, SNGs) - but frankly, if you win, WHO CARES? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-06-2004, 11:51 AM

If you don't mind much higher variance, they are fine. You'll get lucky as often as the next guy, but you'll be relying on that to win more often than at a slower structure. I am not convinced anyone's win rate will be higher or lower at turbo SNGs, they are just different.

Personally, I dislike variance, so I don't play them. I'd rather take my time and have a greater chance of winning each individual SNG I enter. To each their own.

al
Old 05-06-2004, 11:52 AM

If you don't mind much higher variance, they are fine. You'll get lucky as often as the next guy, but you'll be relying on that to win more often than at a slower structure. I am not convinced anyone's win rate will be higher or lower at turbo SNGs, they are just different.

Personally, I dislike variance, so I don't play them. I'd rather take my time and have a greater chance of winning each individual SNG I enter. This is why I skip turbo SNGs, and prefer stars over party. To each their own.

al
Old 05-06-2004, 11:52 AM

Personally, I dislike variance, so I don't play them. I'd rather take my time and have a greater chance of winning each individual SNG I enter. This is why I skip turbo SNGs, and prefer stars over party. To each their own.

al
Old 05-06-2004, 12:01 PM

I think it's hard to argue they benefit the house (at sites like stars, where the vig on the turbo SNGs is lower), except in that they might get the players back into ring games faster (where the real house $$ is made).

I do think the increased speed is a hindrance to stronger players tho, and a help to the poorer ones.

al
Old 05-06-2004, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but frankly, if you win, WHO CARES?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point.

But if you could win at the same rate, playing the same stakes, and pay lower vig, then of course you should. This thread is not necessarily an example If what I am saying, it's just an observation.

al
Old 05-06-2004, 12:40 PM

I imagine that a winning player will have a lower ROI on "turbo" games, but may possibly increase his hourly rate.

Nice triple post before Al - no wonder you're a Carpal \'Tunnel [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]