Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2004, 04:35 PM

Default 10%+ of WSOP entrants from pokerstars alone

GAG.

Don't take my word for it BTW, just log into pokerstars and look at the banner that pops up.

This doesn't count all the countless entries from all the other sites. Probably 50% of the entrants will be from online, maybe a lot more.

GAG. Did I already say that?

A field full of mostly internet poker idiots. Stupidity fest extraordinaire. Many top players will be knocked out by all-in with A6o, gutshots, limp reraise with 33, catches three on turn, etc etc till you puke.

My interest in the WSOP main event declines daily.

al
Old 05-05-2004, 04:43 PM

Default Re: 10%+ of WSOP entrants from pokerstars alone

I don't think most of those qualifying on the Internet are going to be idiots.

-Michael
Old 05-05-2004, 04:47 PM

Nothing can possibly be better for poker than a championship event that is an "idiotfest".

Although I doubt it will be one, or at least not as bad as you make it out to be.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:01 PM

I didn't say it would be bad for poker. I meant that it would be about as interesting as watching a big tournament on party poker.

al
Old 05-05-2004, 05:04 PM

Default good god *DELETED*

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky
Old 05-05-2004, 05:38 PM

Default Re: good god

you've shown a lot of real class here (NOT). I am sure this post of yours will make you extra popular and well respected on the forums (NOT).

My opinion is legit. I think too many internet qualifiers will make the tournament a luck-fest, and I said so. It wasn't a personal attack on you, but you made it into a personal attack on me (completely unprovoked). Real classy zack.

al
Old 05-05-2004, 05:48 PM

snakehead, Boris, Paluka, Diplomat and SpicyF are among 2+2ers I know of who have qual'd for the 10k online. All of those guys are excellent players.

Layne Flack is just one pro I'm aware of who has qual'd for a WSOP seat online.

Daniel Negreneau was among pros who qual'd for the Bellagio WPT tourney online.

Many of the people who qualify online are excellent poker players. Many of them will also have far more tournament experience and success than people qualifying through B&M satellites.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It wasn't a personal attack on you, but you made it into a personal attack on me (completely unprovoked).

[/ QUOTE ]

You're correct and I apologize.

But what I haven't understood and still don't is this intense and completely hatred and contempt for the growth of poker and poker tournaments. It comes out constantly usually in posts championing against the "idol worship of moneymaker" because some people don't believe he played that bad or that he's a total fish. For saying this they consistently get accused of worshipping at the moneymaker altar or some other ridiculous overstatement. Things in past threads have provoked comments directed right at people to keep worshipping their idiot fish moneymaker and other such stuff. Don't play the innocent card here.

Anyway, you should know as well as anyone that luck in a tournament is much more a factor of length of rounds and blinds progression than quantity of entrants. Sure it will affect it minorly, but not nearly to the degree of shortening rounds or making blinds escalation very rapid.

Anyway, I apologize for the comment, but seriously know one here is worshipping moneymaker, some just disagree that he's a complete idiot that got super lucky. But to say the WSOP will be an "idiotfest" because half the entrants are internet qualifiers is ludicrous. There are top notch players that play only on the internet and many of them will be playing in this event.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:06 PM

I could give a flying **** about your apology now. you posted an extremely nasty post directed at me, and you haven't deleted it, when you certainly had more than enough time to do so. Because of this, I won't even debate with you any legitimate points you may have raised, when normally I would. They are irrelevant after your highly insulting comments, which you let stand.

I hope Mat "the axe" Sklansky is more forgiving than me, for your sake.

I really am a pretty nice guy, but don't get me mad.

al
Old 05-05-2004, 06:18 PM

Chris Moneymaker is a great poker player.

P.S. Zack wasn't really implying that you like to suck pro players' peeners, it was in jest.