Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2004, 01:03 PM

Default Waiting to look at your hole cards until the action is to you

I noticed on the WPT the other day that almost all of the players would wait to look at their cards until it was their turn to make a decision. They would watch the other players pick up their cards first, apparently looking for tells.

Is this a common thing to do? It certainly slows the game down. I guess this probably helps no limit players a lot more than limit.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:11 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Waiting to look at your hole cards until the action is to you

it's pretty standatrd in higher limit games
Old 05-05-2004, 02:09 PM

You can't emit a tell if you don't know what you have yourself.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:20 PM

I do this too when I'm playing live mostly now. I don't really slow the game down because I'm always ready to look when the action gets to me and I'm quick to act. I may look one person in advance if I'm getting impatient or the guy in front of me is a moron and isn't paying attention to me anyhow.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:29 PM

When you think about it, waiting to look until the action on you is a great way to maximize the number of people who will spot your tell if you do happen to give one off.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:30 PM

At the higher stakes, many more players are watching you. The admonition "always look left" before acting is a good one.

Even more than pre-flop, it's important to, as surreptitiously as possible, keep your eye on an opponent as the flop hits. In general, when an unsophisticated opponent stares at it, it's good for you.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:43 PM

My sop. I never look at my cards until I have to act.

I know I have frustrated more than a few posters who have played with me because I play my blinds blind. Meaning I do not look at my big blind unless someone has raised before me. I have attempted to work on this.

Old 05-05-2004, 02:58 PM

I thnik you can gain a lot more information by watching a player check his hole cards than people think. A lot of players make an event out of squeezing thier second card when the first is an ace or a king. Some will even shuffle the two together after getting excited by the first one. The other one I have seen from time to time is the guy who only checks his first card and doesnt bother to look at the second a good majority of the time. It's useful to know when player will never limp in with a suited ace or small to medium pocket pair, you can often steal from them when the flop come ragged.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:39 PM

I think this could be debated without end..... Looking immediately, already knowing what you're going to do 80% of the time, your actions and movements until your turn.... or waiting until it's your turn, under more scrutiny, acting...

I haven't done much live poker, and after reading this thread, I'm going to wait most of the time based on position... I also like the idea of playing the blinds blind unless raised....
Old 05-05-2004, 04:50 PM

how could anyone like the idea of playing your blind truly blind unless someone has raised? does that mean you check your option all the time without looking? if so you're giving up EV.