Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2004, 10:28 PM

Default Over thought hand.

In a tourney on party about halfway through, average stack is around 1200 I have about 1450 big stack is around 2000 Blinds are 50/100:

Dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in late position with about 5 limpers before me. I raise to 250. 3 call to see the flop in addition to myself.

Flop is

5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

1 bet's 100
2: Folds
3: Raises to 200 (Has almost the same stack as me)
I raise to 300
1 Folds
3 Calls

Heads up on the turn with
J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

3 Bets 100
I move all in

3 Thinks for awhile and then calls with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

River is a heart and he takes it with the flush. Now at first I thought he played this hand terribly. After thinking about it more, I'm curious, am I the one who played this hand wrong? At the turn should I have simply called and seen what would happen? My first line of thought was that I wantedd to scare off the flush draw, but my initial feel of this guy was that he wouldn't fold teh flush and that was what he was drawing at. Should I have simply called on the turn to see what the river brought then trust my instinct? I'm curious about this.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:31 PM

Default Re: Over thought hand.

two 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the deck?
Old 05-03-2004, 10:34 PM

You will probably get better responses in one of the tournament forums.

If you knew for sure he had a flush draw and is calling you, going all in is definitely the right move. He's a big dog to hit his draw, and he won't be calling the river after missing.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:23 AM

The problem with the way you played this hand is that you allowed a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] to come on the river. It's fine to go all-in on the turn with trip Jacks but you can't let the [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] come and give your opponent a flush. You see, if the [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] comes, you lose the hand.