Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2004, 06:01 PM

Default Middle pair and a gutshot against everyone and their brother...

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

This was my first hand at the table--hence my post in the CO. The Button is a 2+2er. I'm most interested in thoughts about my initial flop action: call or raise?

Preflop: chesspain is CO with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. chesspain posts a blind of $2.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, chesspain (poster) checks, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, chesspain calls.

Flop: (16.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(8 players) </font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, chesspain calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, chesspain calls, Button calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (15.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">chesspain raises</font>, Button folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 folds.

River: (22.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">chesspain bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 24.75 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 24.75 BB, between chesspain and MP1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by chesspain (24.75 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP1 shows 6d Kd (two pair, sixes and fives).
chesspain shows 5d 8s (three of a kind, fives).
Outcome: chesspain wins 24.75 BB. </font>
Old 05-03-2004, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Middle pair and a gutshot against everyone and their brother...

I think you played it fine. No point in raising the flop to clean-up your outs as no one with a 7 is going to fold. Might as well keep them in to pay you off.

Lost Wages
Old 05-03-2004, 06:27 PM

Seeing this hand, especially the Pre-Flop call to the raise makes me feel alot better about playing my Q9o last night after I posted in the CO, had everyone limp, then the button raised.... It was just to big for me to fold, even the though the hand was super shotty

Ending up winning a 20BB when the board showed Q 5 6 7 8

Nice hand.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2004, 06:33 PM

I don't know what else you would have done.

Nice hand,
good luck,
play well.

Bob T.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:51 PM

Actually, I was wondering if by raising I might have increased my chances of winning the pot unimproved if I could get as many overcards that are nine or higher to fold?
Old 05-03-2004, 07:08 PM

Nah, they're not gonna fold on party., Smooth call the flop to get some extra equity in the hand from other possible callers, wait the button raised crap, alright one more bet, Jeez MP3 3 bet? I'll show him, call/cap the flop. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Gallo has seen me lay that move down and win a monster.

I think you played this hand well. though I am not crazy about calling the two cold on the flop but I think you are drawing super liveto a 5 or 7 which I am sure will be good if they hit.

Nice spike on the turn BTW.

All in all nice hand.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:09 PM

I don't think that you are going to win without improvement.

Lost Wages
Old 05-03-2004, 10:21 PM

This was a lunker of a pot. I'm glad you won it.

BTW, I was the button here and had A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I'm not sure how I played it, but I think I might have taken it a little too far.

And for what it's worth, by just calling the flop you got an additional 3 small bets out of me. Then again, a raise on the flop probably would have knocked out my overcards.

Since you posted your blind right behind me, I knew you could have almost anything in this spot, and that ugly flop might have hit you pretty hard.

Maybe that's a good question to ask: If you're on the button in this spot w/ AKs and Chesspain raises the flop, what's your move?

Old 05-03-2004, 11:18 PM

Hey, my brother was in that hand.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe that's a good question to ask: If you're on the button in this spot w/ AKs and Chesspain raises the flop, what's your move?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think continuing to chase this is a really good way to spill chips. If there is a bet and a raise in front of you, I think you have an easy fold, especially if it is chesspain.